The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks and dogs

Default Ducks and dogs

I've noticed this hunting season that while a pheasant will flush when my lab sniffs it ducks for the most part really don't panic when they see a dog. My lab will work the edge of the marsh to try and move ducks that have hidden in the weeds and tulies...the ducks just calmly swim away until the see me and the they jump. I've also noticed that having my dog sitting in front of the blind doesn't deter ducks from coming into my spread....any thoughts on this??? I just found it interesting.

I know one of the AKC breeds (I forget the name of the breed) is said to work the shore to "attract" ducks....for me, I have hunted with a few guys with Labs that were not ready for 'prime time' duck hunting and would work around the shoreline while ducks were working. But, from what I recall the ducks always would flare out of range when they spotted these dogs moving around on shore.....

If this really works, why are we all working so hard at getting our dogs under control during hunts??

Swampcollielover ... You are thinking of a Nova Scotia Duck Toller
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I've yet to notice ducks flaring from dogs while they are swimming.

Sometimes ducks REALLY want into a spot and not much can keep them out...including shooting. Other times ducks will LOOK at a spot and do so with a wary eye and will flare for no apparent reason. Somewhere in between those two scenarios is your average hunt. That said if you're hunting ducks that have been shot at a bit they will be wary of unnatural looking decoy spreads, poor concealment of hunters and equipment, and poor concealment of a dog.....they are especially wary of anything unnatural that moves and a wiggly dog is definitely going to catch their attention. Not always.....nothing's ever "always" but often enough that it's worth the effort to quiet your dog and keep it hid.

As far as flushing pheasant vs ducks I've seen pheasant hold tight and have to be practically stomped on to get to flush, I've seen them flush wild way out ahead of the dog and guns and I've seen them run. All of these are very common in pheasant hunting with and without a dog. As far as flushing ducks goes I do think a dog can sneak up on resting or feeding birds easier than a hunter can because the dog is lower to the ground and harder to see. I've never tried swimming a dog through the marsh as a means of hunting ducks except for when running down cripples and cripples VERY much try to escape the dog.....QUACK! QUAACK!! QUAAAACCKKKK!!!!

Have ya ever seen an eagle try catch a cripple? REALLY neat experience.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    If this really works, why are we all working so hard at getting our dogs under control during hunts??
    I would refer you to the following thread, particularly message #2.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ling-Retriever

But then ... I have a Toller that when she was younger could toll fawns. We'd turn her loose when the deer were feeding in the front yard and pretty soon she'd have a couple following her around the yard.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I think it's because there has yet to be a dog shoot a duck. Most ducks haven't figured it out that the dogs are on our side...if they start to figure it out, it's too late and BOOM!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

Agree and to add I think it helps. Anytime there is movement in the decoys is a good thing. I couldn't count the times ducks have dropped in when I'm walking in the decoys picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I've yet to notice ducks flaring from dogs while they are swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    Have ya ever seen an eagle try catch a cripple? REALLY neat experience.
    Indeed it is, but what isn't so neat is when the Eagle dives for the bird/dog when said cripple is in dogs mouth. Luckily its not an every day occurance

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    Sometimes ducks REALLY want into a spot and not much can keep them out...including shooting.
    Those are truly special days when that happens. I think the majority if not all pray for days such as this.