The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie in search of answers!

Quote Originally Posted by christian.guzman View Post
    I am in Hampton, VA.
    There are several clubs with training days in VA - all are about 2-3 hours away - but these days that is pretty typical if you live in a somewhat urban area. The drive is worth it when you are just starting out and the training days are great. Also through membership and participation you will likely find people in the membership that live closer to you for the "unofficial" training days.

There are several VA clubs you may want to check into:
    Tidewater: www.tidewaterretrieverclub.org
    Rappahannock River: http://www.rrrclub.com/
    Blue Ridge: www.wutadog.com
    Old Dominion: www.odrclub.org
    James River HRC: http://www.ukcdogs.com/Clubs.nsf/Clu...State=Virginia

I know there are several people on RTF that are from Virginia - you may want to search "Virginia Clubs" on the forum.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Hey Chris, I might have what your looking for. Email me bigdaddysfishn@aol.com. Thanks and happy hunting for pup.

Ray

Lots of training material out there. Some are sold by people that train dogs successfully to the highest levels, others are sold by people that write about training dogs.

I'm in a similar situation as far as goals and experience go. Previous dog was a "rock" dog (had to keep rocks to throw to mark ducks) used for hunting only and minimal training. Have since been at it with my current gal. I chose to go with Fowl Dawgs as a program. From what I understand, it is very similar to Lardy's progression of training. IMO, Stawski does a good job of explaining "why" and "how" as he goes along, which is helpful for a newb like me. Pretty affordable too for his 4 DVD series. We are working on the mini T now with no complaints. Also heard good things about Smartworks, plus Evan is on here often and has shown he's willing to help, hell he went out of his way to help me and I'm using a different program.. Pretty outstanding if you ask me. My .02 for what thats worth

Quote Originally Posted by fowlfanatic72 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation as far as goals and experience go. Previous dog was a "rock" dog (had to keep rocks to throw to mark ducks) used for hunting only and minimal training. Have since been at it with my current gal. I chose to go with Fowl Dawgs as a program. From what I understand, it is very similar to Lardy's progression of training. IMO, Stawski does a good job of explaining "why" and "how" as he goes along, which is helpful for a newb like me. Pretty affordable too for his 4 DVD series. We are working on the mini T now with no complaints. Also heard good things about Smartworks, plus Evan is on here often and has shown he's willing to help, hell he went out of his way to help me and I'm using a different program.. Pretty outstanding if you ask me. My .02 for what thats worth
    I appreciate it your .02 cents. I like Evans program a lot and I also like Hillman's. I'll have to check out Fowl Dawgs. Thanks.