The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A chopping chewer...

Default A chopping chewer...

I expected my pups mouth habits to improve after force fetch but, I have a big time chewer still. What is the best correction to resolve this?? By the way when retrieving free bees his mouth is perfect. Is this just a pup thing or ?

How old is the dog? And this might need a trick out of and old book to solve. How did he do during his HOLD sessions of FF?
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by sdnordahl View Post
    How old is the dog? And this might need a trick out of and old book to solve. How did he do during his HOLD sessions of FF?
    He will be one next month. Hold was a battle, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

You say hold was a battle. Could you elaborate? Did you get hold under control? In a training FF session will he hold proper?
    Steven

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Hold seems to always be an issue, he will hold but unless I get pretty stern with him he will often get chewy and bobble the bumper or doken around. He seems to have a lot of anxiety about items in his mouth when he has a chance to think about it. I have been told by my pro that this is something he will grow out of, and basically every dog has something or another that they have issue with, you gotta take the good with the bad. Your thoughts???

My thoughts...... If he has trouble maintaining a good hold constantly even during a FF training session you should go back and smooth that out b4 moving along. I hate to be the guy to say your not done w/ hold but.......... I'm not a pro but it sounds like a bigger problem than a simple maintenance thing you can clean up wile running drills. Just my two cents.
    Steven

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Did you FF the dog or your pro? If you have a pro, why isn't he fixing this? Describe a current session of FF with the dog. Do you ear pinch? Toe? Collar? When you hold the bumper out and the dog lunges for it to take it, does he immediately start rolling it around? Did you use your hand to teach hold? Grasp around his muzzle and tell him hold? Smack his lower jaw when you say "hold"? Knock the bumper out of his mouth and force back down to it? Just trying to figure out what you have tried to get an idea of what to do to fix it.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Did you FF the dog or your pro? If you have a pro, why isn't he fixing this? Describe a current session of FF with the dog. Do you ear pinch? Toe? Collar? When you hold the bumper out and the dog lunges for it to take it, does he immediately start rolling it around? Did you use your hand to teach hold? Grasp around his muzzle and tell him hold? Smack his lower jaw when you say "hold"? Knock the bumper out of his mouth and force back down to it? Just trying to figure out what you have tried to get an idea of what to do to fix it.
    achiro,
    I did not ff my pup, I had a pro trainer tackle it. Ear pinch and collar were used. My pup will absolutely lunge for a bumper when told to. He has an unbelievable amount of drive so much so I think in anticipating the next retrieve his mouth gets sloppy. It drives me crazy. I was told that this is something that will improve with time and no need to continue to nit pic him on this.
    ????

One thing about your post stands out to me. You say when you give a freebie that the mouth is fine. I believe that this is an anxiety issue. I'm not there to see your dog but I would bet that the dogs confidence is low and that a pretty good amount of pressure was used to get him to the level he is at. One of the reasons that I say this is because even dogs with a sloppy hold will usually firm up with a larger object that they can't juggle like a Dokken or large bird. How have you been addressing this issue thus far?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    because even dogs with a sloppy hold will usually firm up with a larger object that they can't juggle ?
    I have found this to be true. Sometimes using a lrg bumper has a big difference than the regular size ones.
    Steven

Wild Meadow Retrievers