The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillman Question and Updates?

Question Hillman Question and Updates?

I have been doing some research and evaluating training programs. I understand the Hillman's puppy training program is very good.
    I also noticed that about 2-3 years ago people found a need to start their puppy's on Hillman and then transition into another program.

I believe in the past year or so Hillman has come out with some new elements to his program.

Therefore, with these new DVD's is there a need to transition to another program or do these new additions make Hillmans a more complete program than it was and avoid the need to mix programs?

Thanks

duckstruck

I'd like to know as well, maybe some of you guys/ gals can ahead some light on this issue.

Which new elements are u talking about? I was told the fetch DVD would be next after the puppy video. Is there another DVD you are referencing. I am debating on weather to transition to Lardys DVDs or go to the fetch DVD myself. I have a little time to think about it. FETCH or LARDY??? Hmmmmm

Lardy.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    Lardy.........
    which Lardy DVD exactly do u transition to from Hillmann? And have you seen the Fetch hillmann DVD?

HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

The searches I have done on this and other Forums mention that Hillmann has a very good puppy program.
    As I mentioned some of those were as far back as 2-3 years ago and they mentioned transitioning to other programs that were more complete as you get into the advanced work. Some mention was made a couple of years ago of him coming out with additional stuff.

Below is a link of Hillmann's current offerings. I am wondering if anyone has reviewed it / or used it and finds the program to be sufficient all the way through as there appear to be more offerings than those mentioned a couple of years ago. I have sent them an email with a few questions.

I have reviewed several of Hillmanns puppy vid clips on youtube and like his philosophy.

In the searches many have transitioned to Lardy and some to Grahams. Some mention was made that the transition from Hillmann to Lardy would be the easier of the two for the dog.

I'm just looking to get some feedback on the complete program that is available now, to avoid using the puppy program and transitioning to something else and possibly confusing the dog ( more apt to confuse me instead LOL).

http://www.hawkeyemedia.net/index.html
    Last edited by duckstruck; 02-16-2014 at 08:27 PM.

I think you will find that they will tell you that as i said before the next step after the puppy video is the fetch video. I've already been through the same questions your asking. I'm learning there is no perfect system per say. It's about picking one that you like and sticking with it.

The new Hillmann videos take you to essentially the same place as you had gone through Transition with Lardy or Graham's program.

Both of those go into more details with advanced work, but that is far less 'flow chart'. Nevertheless, you could take the Hillmann program all the way through Transition and then move over to advanced work. You would be in basically the same place, although the steps are not the same.

The sequence would be: Puppy DVD, Fetch Command, Fundamentals Land, Fundamentals Water

I transitioned from Hillmann Puppy and then Fetch Command into Lardy basics with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use Hillmann's Fundamentals though. Both should get you where you want to go whether its a good hunting dog or a FT dog.