The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does 100% positive reinforcement retriever training exist?

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Good point!...I also believe there is not a 100% negative trainer
    However,this guy appears to have it?
    http://lumi-laddie-test-series.blogspot.ca/

This is the same guy, Lindsey Ridgeway, referred to in teacher504's post. I'm pretty sure he's all positive, he does not force fetch, has never used an ecollar and I'm pretty sure doesn't use a heeling stick; not sure about choke chains/scolding though. I've trained with him too and his dog Laddie has finished one or two Qs which is quite a big accomplishment for that type of training. Laddie is a very talented & well bred Golden, FC/AFC sire x FC dam; he's got tons of go. Lindsey is not judgmental about the way others train but he is very dedicated to training his own dog using positive methods.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Good point!...I also believe there is not a 100% negative trainer However,this guy appears to have it?
    http://lumi-laddie-test-series.blogspot.ca/
    How in the world did you find that Golden blog?
    The dog Laddie is from one of the better Golden field trial breeding one could hope for. He was lucky to get a puppy for sure.
    Several Awards of Merit in the Qualifying stake was a good showing if actually positive only. I suspect this particular Golden may have had abilities to succeed in All-Age Field Trials if owner chose to use all 4 quadrants.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    John and Paul your comments are very entertaining. You must have nothing to do! Me I am waiting for our next snowstorm this afternoon.

As for a positive trainer?? where is Jennifer H. I do like Hillman's DVD as it is the softer approach with the collar. And like the fellow above says there is L. Jolly's treat fetch method!
    Your choice whatever you do! Good luck.

Here is Lori's link to E training
    http://e-trainingfordogs.com/2011/11...y-lorie-jolly/
    Well the T field is flooded out so I can only do sit stay heel so long....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

To the OP contact Jennifer Henion

Quote Originally Posted by danjor92 View Post

My questions is does 100% positive reinforcement retriever trainers or programs even exist?

Well, not really.

There is no such thing as a 100% positive only training method of any kind. The second you introduce a collar and leash you've added a degree of aversive reinforcement. From that point on it's a matter of degree and where you personally choose to draw the line.
    Last edited by Swampcollie; 02-18-2014 at 01:27 AM.

https://www.excellentgundog.com/

I saw some videos using clicker training for retrieving that was pretty interesting also. It is not the route I went with, but they certainly out there and on the surface I see no reason why they would not work.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    Well, not really.

There is no such thing as a 100% positive only training method of any kind. The second you introduce a collar and leash you've added a degree of aversive reinforcement. From that point on it's a matter of degree and where you personally choose to draw the line.
    You beat me to it. When you are using a "100% positive method" and are training not to pull on the leash, the second you pop the leash for a heal or turn and walk the opposite direction and the dog gets yanked around then it's not 100% positive. Let's drop the 100% positive...what you really mean to say and are looking for is training without an e-collar.

The dog and handler team some here have held up as a prime example of success at primarily positive training. is a poor one.

Interested parties may PM me for the details.....

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    The dog and handler team some here have held up as a prime example of success at primarily positive training is ...
    Just a minute there, John - you got clearance from McGruff the Crime Dog and Barbara Woodhouse to release such canine classified unpositive information?

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Just a minute there, John - you got clearance from McGruff the Crime Dog and Barbara Woodhouse to release such canine classified unpositive information?

MG

Mike , a couple of months of the "Woodhouse Way" is just what that dog needs....

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"