The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running first hunt test this spring!

Thumbs up Running first hunt test this spring!

I am looking into entering my first hunt test EVER!! Went to several last year as a spectator and was amazed with the people and the dogs! I am 24, and my CLM is almost 3....is this kind of a late start for him or is it pretty common?? Any advice on what to work on most, and any tips would be great!
    Thanks everybody!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Kevin Find a local club and plug into their training days.

Sounds like you are starting at a junior level (AKC). The dogs are graded on a number of things but the two items that seem to fail a lot of dogs are (1) marking - knowing where the bird went down and picking up the fall and (2) delivery of bird to hand. You cannot pick the bird up off the ground or touch your dog. You will hear the phrase "junior grab" used to describe the efforts junior handlers used to get the bird. Should be some videos of junior tests on youtube

If running HRC (UKC) - a "started" dog is graded on marks but only has to deliver to the area around the handlers feet.

You can run your dog in both these levels with a collar and hold them to keep them from breaking. Good luck and welcome

What are looking to run? I would start at a level I knew my dog would be underwhelmed with personally. Good luck

Southern Minnesota Hunting Retriever Association 2014 Spring Hunt Test (Master Limited to 60 entries)

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - Sunday, May 04, 2014

Held in Waseca , MN

Entries Close: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:59:59 PM CST

Event Type: AKC Hunting Test
    Event Number: 2014609201/02

Stake Fee Entries Judges Start
    Master $70.00 0 (limit 60) Troy Tilleraas / Carol Hynes 5/3/2014 8:00 AM
    Senior $65.00 0 Pat Taphorn / Andrea McConico 5/4/2014 8:00 AM
    Junior $55.00 0 Andrea McConico / Dave Thorpe 5/3/2014 8:30 AM
    Junior $55.00 0 Rick McConico / Kirk Rice 5/4/2014 8:30 AM

this will be the one im looking to run in if that helps. Juniors

Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

I would run BOTH Juniors if you can back to back. May get two passes. Watch the youtube videos

It is never too late - I have several friends who did their first HT with 2 & 3 year olds. The JH test is a marking only test: 2 singles each series, 2 series (1 land, 1 water) - with at least 1 live flyer. Since it is AKC you will want to be sure your dog delivers to hand. The big thing I forgot a few times when I was just starting out was to not touch the dog until I had the bird in hand. So practice singles on land and water with delivery to hand and you should be just fine! Agree with DropinBack - enter both - then you have a whole weekend of fun!
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Don't forget about HRC. There are several HRC tests in Minnesota each Spring and the schedule can be found on the Hunting Retriever Club's website. HRC folks are a great group of people (but AKC folks are, too).
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Don't forget NAHRA either .....

"In the Central region we have 4 Nahra clubs located in Minnesota and Iowa. We usually hold anywhere from 12-20 tests per year. The testing season starts in April and ends in August or early September, just in time to begin the hunting season. "

CLUB NAME CLUB WEBSITE CITY, STATE
    Four Points Retriever Club www.fourpointsrc.org Oakdale MN
    Midwest Retriever Club www.midwestretrieverclub.org Norwalk IA
    Hinckley Retriever Club No Website Plymouth MN
    Skunk River Hunting Retriever Association skunkriverdogs.org Fort Madison IA

Good luck and have fun with your dog!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

HRC started tests are easier for a new dog and handler, as noted above they are more forgiving on delivering to hand, and other basics. After you pass a couple of HRC, then you can try an AKC. Be sure to read copies of the test rules and regs, they are readily available at AKC website, and HR website....to find tests in your area, look on Entry Express website for AKC and on HR website for HRC tests....good luck and have fun....it really is a blast for you and the dog!

My suggestion is to concentrate heavily on obedience issues. If you have a small problem it will get magnified greatly at the test. I would not recommend running a double junior as your first test. The dogs get wise quickly to the test and tend to be more out of control as the weekend goes on. You will not have any time to make corrections or train for issues with back to back tests. Dogs look very good in training when you have e-collars, crop stick, choke, and other training devises but learn quickly on test day that you don't have any of these aids.