The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to Start

Default Ready to Start

So i just got stared in to duck hunting this year. realized i loved it and also realized that i have a 9 month lab at home with nothing to do. So i decided i wanted to train him to retrieve for me, not interested in field trials or hunt test just duck/goose hunting. I am in the military and dont make crap, so i couldnt afford to send him to a trainer. I bought the smartworks program, an E-collar, starter pistol, about 12 bumpers diff sizes and dif colors, a few goose dummies and duck dummies and a few other things. it should arrive in the mail tomorrow. I am excited to start this and know that i am way behind since he is 9 months old, but i have let him play around with the ducks and geese that i bring him and he will retrieve them everytime i toss them out in the yard. He also does not have a hard mouth and does not chew on the bird when im not looking. i have seen him lick the feathers on occasion while im cleaning another bird, but thats as far as ive seen him go. needless to say i have a long summer ahead of me, but should be fun. I hope to learn alot from this site as time progresses. i know i will have questions and you guys will be the first ones i come to.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

First of all Thank you for your service .. I wish you and your pup all the best. Evan's program works but don't skip the steps. You and your pup need to learn to walk first before trying to run.....Be patient.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

You are gonna' have a lot of fun.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    First of all Thank you for your service .. I wish you and your pup all the best. Evan's program works but don't skip the steps. You and your pup need to learn to walk first before trying to run.....Be patient.
    thanks sundown, after doing some research i bought the "obedience training" and the "gun dog essentials" since i dont plan on doing f/t or h/t and that is what he suggested to use if you only wanted a hunting retriever. I decided on getting the obedience training because i wanted to start from the beginning with him utilizing evan's program

Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    thanks sundown, after doing some research i bought the "obedience training" and the "gun dog essentials" since i dont plan on doing f/t or h/t and that is what he suggested to use if you only wanted a hunting retriever. I decided on getting the obedience training because i wanted to start from the beginning with him utilizing evan's program
    this is how it all begins after buying all the stuff you have next will be wingers etc. pretty soon you will try a hunt test then you are hooked. after all you need to do something during the off season. also find a club to join you will like minded people that can help you.
    Last edited by pat addis; 02-18-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added to

You are not too late. I didn't start "formal" training on mine till she was a year old. I also only use her for hunting. So far, she is doing great. I do take her 1 time a week to a trainer (I only pay for the birds used) and the last time i was there he told me that "I have a very good dog". Just make sure you put in the time. 15-20 minutes a day, and then increase as you see. Good luck.

My only problem with the club thing is that i cant find any locally through search engines or AKC site.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    You are not too late. I didn't start "formal" training on mine till she was a year old. I also only use her for hunting. So far, she is doing great. I do take her 1 time a week to a trainer (I only pay for the birds used) and the last time i was there he told me that "I have a very good dog". Just make sure you put in the time. 15-20 minutes a day, and then increase as you see. Good luck.
    Every trainer around me wants about good chunk of change to train for an hour session or so. i cannot afford it, so i will have to rely on the videos and seeking advice on here as well as other forums.

i got everything in the mail yesterday. Today starts formal traing on obedience. Lesson number one is Collar conditioning to the command "here" or "come". should be interesting

Where in VA are you located? I'm assuming Hampton Roads or NOVA being in the military.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net