The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Big D...120 Master limit Full in less than 10 min,

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    You are delusional if you really think that the mileage limit is really limiting the number of tests. Unlike Field trials, Clubs have no limit to the number of Hunt tests that they can put on in a calendar year. How many are putting on more than 2 a year?

I just don't see clubs clamoring to put on more tests? The people that are putting the tests on are saying enough already!

I just don't see "the Takers" stepping up. If they won't train and run their own dog now, why would they?
    Doug, I'm not suggesting that clubs would put on more tests. But they may choose to move an existing test to a different weekend, if they weren't prohibited from doing so by the mileage limiation. Do I think this alone would solve the issues we are seeing? No. But coupled with other proposed changes, it may help.

I agree with you about the "Takers" and only see the problem worsening if folks can't get entered in their own local tests. Who is going to volunteer to work those events? You don't seriously expect people who aren't able to enter their dog to show up and throw birds all weekend for the pro's that got advance notice of the opening? Do you?

Anybody who doesn't think somebody tipped these folks off as to when the tests would open on EE, is absolutely DELUSIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    First 24 hours after opening ... entry restricted to untitled dogs (not yet MH).

Next 24 hours ... entry restricted to dogs not yet qualified for MN.

Unrestricted after that.

This would give priority to those seeking the baseline title, no distinction between pro or am. Secondly, this gives everyone else a 24-hour "heads-up" after the initial opening so everyone has a fair shot to be ready at their keyboards for the big entry surge.

Jim
    Not a bad idea......
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Do all the people hiring trainers to run their dogs in hunt tests bring these trainers to the duck blind with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    Sure looks like those 11 scratches are a direct result of implementing the limit policy.
    Actually not really - the one Pro who scratched had a very tragic family emergency and only had two dogs entered. Another Pro had two dogs scratched due to injury with Vet cert. The rest were Ams with with Vet certs, except two. And two of the scratches were club members. And all workers who wanted to enter were able to.

Edit - but you wouldn't know these details, just on numbers alone, I'd agree with your initial response.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I agree with you about the "Takers" and only see the problem worsening if folks can't get entered in their own local tests. Who is going to volunteer to work those events? You don't seriously expect people who aren't able to enter their dog to show up and throw birds all weekend for the pro's that got advance notice of the opening?
    No, I don't. That's why I suggested slots reserved for workers.

That's why clubs wouldn't put on Restricted stakes in Field trials. It eliminated the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    No, I don't. That's why I suggested slots reserved for workers.

That's why clubs wouldn't put on Restricted stakes in Field trials. It eliminated the workers.

And before final close any remaining reserve spots open to non reserve ? That would help ensure the club doesn't miss potential profit.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I'm not sure if this is permissible under the rules.

Would having all entries in by a certain date and then hold a lottery work?

You could still reserve spots or have early entry for workers and or host members then hold the lottery if something like that is permissible.

The day of the event another lottery with those in attendance could be held for post entries to fill the spots vacated by scratches.

I wonder, since it seems like a possibility that with some of these tests some people may be getting a tip as to when to sit by the computer, is there also a possibility of people in the know signing up dogs that they don't intend to run, only to scratch the dogs later (before the close) which would save a spot for their buddy? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    So...what are some serious, well thought out suggestions for fixing this and still allowing a club to limit entries?
    With that amount of success or whatever you want to call it, it seems like the market is screaming for new clubs to form and hold nearby (within AKC rules) hunt test to conflict. I can remember only a few years ago people were saying we better watch out and recruit new people into the sport, or it was going to die. Now I pine for the days of 60 dog Opens and 40 dog amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Earl - What do you think the solution is?
    I think as stated in my post everyone has to step up to the plate and volunteer , throw, gun, marshal, etc. If you are entered you are conscripted to work, no excuses, pro or amateur, no matter the numbers.
    It will take awhile, but, I do believe it will be voluntary compliance and let it known entering a hunt test is not an entitlement . I have spent most of my time in the field trial game. Having said that have run, titled, and judged 15 or 20 Master hunt tests in the past , a few Seniors and one Junior. There are others on this forum who are far more experienced in the AKC hunt test game then myself. My daughter soon this year to judge her second Master National is much more learned at judging hunt tests, is a hunt test secretary and has run and titled Master Hunt Test dogs. She is of the same opinion as myself (we don't always agree)
    not a bobblehead. As an example, have watched folks hiding behind their vehicles, watching a pro run their Junior dog, geeze, those are the folks you want to become active in memberships. It's kinda like going to a field trial, having a Pro run your dog in the Open, then you run the dog in the Amateur. You stand around all day as the Pro runs your open dog, then at the Amateur the following day, the entire trial gets held up waiting for you to run the Amateur as the Open has priority. I personally think we are ruled to death and the various Hunt Test Clubs should have some leaway, example determining who is a amateur and who is not or who has the dog running qualifications to judge and who has not, etc etc. AS other have suggested leave openings for workers, if the workers don't work, then it is up to the clubs to monitor it.
    Earl Dillow