The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Big D...120 Master limit Full in less than 10 min,

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I hope AKC comes up with an answer. Till last fall I had no problem getting into any test I wanted to enter. Now I can't get in to an AKC test. I am going back to my roots. I started this game in 1976 with HRC. Today I dropped my UKC registration in the mail and paid my HRC dues. Entered two HRC tests with no problems. HRC restricts entries to 5 dogs per person max. I will stay with my local AKC club and help out with our test but if things don't change and I can't get in a test . . . well what's the point. This is my main hobby and I train almost every day so I can run my dogs in HT. If I can't get in AKC tests I will have to go where I can get in. No animosity; just the way things are.
    Did you mean 1986? HRC didn't start until '84
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

It's equally frustrating as a pro/owner not to be able to get entries in...right now, only have two client dogs ready for Master. But, we have several young dogs (personally) that we planned to run in MH in the future.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

The main reason that I would be in favor of allowing a HTC to have the "Option" to hold an Amateur Owner Handler event is because it would allow the dogs from southern states to be entered in tests while they are still in their area. After the early spring events, the dogs are not as concentrated in one region and the option would, in most cases, no longer be necessary.

I would prefer that the option only be available with approval of the AKC to prevent its abuse.

J.O.
    Last edited by counciloak; 02-19-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    Wow....I think it has officially reached insane status.

my trainer called me to enter my dog, and I was online that minute.

got the master entry selected, and submitted my payment info, and got a red box saying that the test filled while I was putting my stuff in.

i heard thru the grapevine that someone that got dogs in said it filled in 8 minutes.

This is my first master dog....wondering if this is going to be disappointments like this over and over
    I think if you look into the VIP program on EE you will see why it closed so fast. Pros push one button and all their dogs are entered. Check it out.
    BillB

Quote Originally Posted by LabskeBill View Post
    I think if you look into the VIP program on EE you will see why it closed so fast. Pros push one button and all their dogs are entered. Check it out.
    BillB
    So in fact I was wrong with my thought about a bot. It seems EE is the culprit here.

So in all fairness entry opening should be posted for all to see and one dog with one of those squiggly characters thingys be attached to all entries. Snooze and you lose including pros.

Just not fair to the rest of us.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I can see how removing the mileage restriction might result in lower entries for some clubs, but isn't that what the clubs want? A more manageable test with lower numbers? Seems like clubs want to be able to limit, but also want to fill right up to the limit in order to cover costs. Individuals who don't get into their local test are simply out of luck? Clubs shouldn't be able to have it both ways. How is that fair? In the business world, we refer to this as free-enterprise. If the little local store cannot meet the demands of the masses, Wal-Mart will move in and build a store that CAN handle the demand, and is happy to do so. I'm not proposing to shut down smaller clubs, but perhaps some sort of relaxation of the mileage standard would help. Of course, we're a little more sensitive to it here in MI, since many of the tests in WI are within the mileage limit but are still a 7 hour drive around the darned lake, but AKC doesn't care. They are within 200 miles, as the crow flies.

I DO see your point, from the clubs perspective, but don't agree with it from a participants perspective. Something has to be done.
    Dan, my point was really that removing the mileage restriction wouldn't do much if anything (except of course as you pointed out, perhaps in MI--maybe a three hour drive time would be better?). For example on our weekend--and the same basically hold true for any weekend during the peak season, there will be a HT in AL, Eastern NC, VA and ours. While these clubs are outside the mileage restrictions, they all pull from different areas as folks go to the closest ones, so they do in fact compete. I am not saying that is bad at all. We limit to protect our available grounds, but hope to fill those slots and do what we can to do so. We call folks and ask for them to bring dogs, we try to make sure they have a good time, cook dinner, etc, and even have club members step up with entries when otherwise they would not enter dogs and just work the HT. However, even if you allowed a club an hour away to hold a HT on the same weekend, I doubt they would do it. It would ensure that neither club made money, so I don't really think there would be much effect. If it was in a region where the clubs could get huge numbers to any test, perhaps--and it might increase entries as folks treated it like a double MH, which always draw huge, but I think that most clubs would choose not to hold one right on top of the ones close by.

You mention the free enterprise system--that would affect competing HTs as the clubs made their decisions to try to maximize their profits. I proposed a very simple dutch auction pricing mechanism earlier that would start with higher entry fees and reduce them every day until the HT is full. Free enterprise at its finest as it lets folks choose HTs where the marginal cost meets or exceeds their marginal utility, just like airline yield management systems or Google's IPO. It was met with howls of protest. I guess dog folks just don't believe in free enterprise

One simple fix. No mass entries, could be fixed today. Owner/handler designation again a simple computer change.
    Retriever News should be ashamed.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

limiman - coulda been '86, heck that was a long time ago!

And one upcoming HRC test I entered or was looking to enter stated a limit of 5 dogs max per person. Based on that, I thought 5 was HRC's max entry but I haven't run a HRC test for about 10 years now.
    Last edited by Hambone; 02-19-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Dan, my point was really that removing the mileage restriction wouldn't do much if anything (except of course as you pointed out, perhaps in MI--maybe a three hour drive time would be better?). For example on our weekend--and the same basically hold true for any weekend during the peak season, there will be a HT in AL, Eastern NC, VA and ours. While these clubs are outside the mileage restrictions, they all pull from different areas as folks go to the closest ones, so they do in fact compete. I am not saying that is bad at all. We limit to protect our available grounds, but hope to fill those slots and do what we can to do so. We call folks and ask for them to bring dogs, we try to make sure they have a good time, cook dinner, etc, and even have club members step up with entries when otherwise they would not enter dogs and just work the HT. However, even if you allowed a club an hour away to hold a HT on the same weekend, I doubt they would do it. It would ensure that neither club made money, so I don't really think there would be much effect. If it was in a region where the clubs could get huge numbers to any test, perhaps--and it might increase entries as folks treated it like a double MH, which always draw huge, but I think that most clubs would choose not to hold one right on top of the ones close by.

You mention the free enterprise system--that would affect competing HTs as the clubs made their decisions to try to maximize their profits. I proposed a very simple dutch auction pricing mechanism earlier that would start with higher entry fees and reduce them every day until the HT is full. Free enterprise at its finest as it lets folks choose HTs where the marginal cost meets or exceeds their marginal utility, just like airline yield management systems or Google's IPO. It was met with howls of protest. I guess dog folks just don't believe in free enterprise
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the mileage restriction? I take it's a restriction on two clubs so many miles apart having an even at the same time? How far/how many miles is the current restriction? How does it work...is it the club that gets the event approved first the one in that gets the restriction placed around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    limiman - coulda been '86, heck that was a long time ago!
    In your first HT, there were probably only 2 entries and Noah was the judge.