The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Big D...120 Master limit Full in less than 10 min,

Default HT Help Field Trail Limits or Too Many Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Every single HT I have been to had pros take turns out in the field throwing birds, shooting flyers, helping set up and take down the test. Not all of them, of course, but most I know are very helpful. That doesn't count the ones on whose training grounds several events are held.
    FOM ... You need to get out to more Hunt Tests .... just about everyone I've ever attended the Pro's and Clients have either worked, shot or thrown birds in addition to running their string of dogs....heck a I overheard two "Big Truck" Pro's offer help last weekend and were told that's ok we have enough ... one had even been contacted ahead of time to bring guns and shooters ... they didf but they weren't required ...

So this topic has wound around from "It ain't fair I got locked out of entering" through How we once proposed to Limit 100 dog Field Trials, to FT are better than HT ... down to them sorry so and so's never offer to help ... While not perfect EE does a great job of working within the rules ... can some policies be updated ... you bet'cha same probably holds true where you work ... so what is the problem? Pro's earning a living, Pro's being proactive in findng out when a test will open? AkC fault for dragging out the approval process [yup it snowed in AAtlanta] ... the problem is that the Sport we love has grown beyound the carrying capacity of grounds, workers, finances ... the rest is just symptoms ... Pray for What ya Want ... Work for What ya Need regards ....
    Bruce and the TownHill Gang

HRCH Potter's Cosmos Shadow Buster JH [Buster]
    HRCHTownHill Yeager's Rebel Rouser - [Rebel]
    Townhill Midnight Mist - [Misty]

"...leave something in it for the dog"

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    FOM ... You need to get out to more Hunt Tests .... just about everyone I've ever attended the Pro's and Clients have either worked, shot or thrown birds in addition to running their string of dogs....heck a I overheard two "Big Truck" Pro's offer help last weekend and were told that's ok we have enough ... one had even been contacted ahead of time to bring guns and shooters ... they didf but they weren't required ...

So this topic has wound around from "It ain't fair I got locked out of entering" through How we once proposed to Limit 100 dog Field Trials, to FT are better than HT ... down to them sorry so and so's never offer to help ... While not perfect EE does a great job of working within the rules ... can some policies be updated ... you bet'cha same probably holds true where you work ... so what is the problem? Pro's earning a living, Pro's being proactive in findng out when a test will open? AkC fault for dragging out the approval process [yup it snowed in AAtlanta] ... the problem is that the Sport we love has grown beyound the carrying capacity of grounds, workers, finances ... the rest is just symptoms ... Pray for What ya Want ... Work for What ya Need regards ....
    Discussing the issues may lead to solutions. May not, but I doubt if solutions arise from not discussing it.

FOM ... You need to get out to more Hunt Tests ....
    I'm not arguing that, but dang it, there are only so many weekends in a year!

It's also why I qualified my comment....I am willing to bet there are HT Pros that help....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Default Amen

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I'm not arguing that, but dang it, there are only so many weekends in a year!

It's also why I qualified my comment....I am willing to bet there are HT Pros that help....
    and therein lies the rub ... we either need more weekends or more tests, grounds, workers etc .......... restricting or limiting entries is not the answer IMHO .... thinking about starting a new entry service to monitor and enter the existing electronic entry system automatically ... heck might need to call Shane ... he started EE to make it easier maybe we need AUTO EE signup in advance pay your fee say $10.00 per dog and take your chances fees payable six months in advance with no refund of handling fee ... work fee balance at interest with unsuccessful fees returned 30 days after close ... the American way .. make a lot on a little or a little on a lot ... whose in?
    Bruce and the TownHill Gang

HRCH Potter's Cosmos Shadow Buster JH [Buster]
    HRCHTownHill Yeager's Rebel Rouser - [Rebel]
    Townhill Midnight Mist - [Misty]

"...leave something in it for the dog"

Yes and it's not about whether or not pros help. Limited entry hunt tests aren't really the problem, just a solution to one problem. I would argue a bit about participation being up, I'd say it's more pros with more dogs. If anyone doesn't see a HUGE issue with the fact that local amateurs can't run their local hunt tests because pro's filled up the space so fast then I don't know what to say but that is a problem.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Every single HT I have been to had pros take turns out in the field throwing birds, shooting flyers, helping set up and take down the test. Not all of them, of course, but most I know are very helpful. That doesn't count the ones on whose training grounds several events are held.
    You are fortunate, Because it rarely happens here except for a few.

Quote Originally Posted by RadarsDad View Post
    You are fortunate, Because it rarely happens here except for a few.
    I don't know where you run but it must be somewhere in Texas. When Rody Best was running a test in our area, he provided a flyer shooter for at least 2 tests. A very nice, young man who spent an entire day loading stinky mallards in a winger and shooting them.

All the pros I know are more than willing to help.

A more productive conversation is why clubs are limiting tests?
    Mark Land

bruce - when I said there weren't enough weekends, I was more referring to me not having enough weekends! Between FTs, HTs, other hobbies, big game hunting, work and life in general....boy my weekends are pretty much taken up! I'd run more HTs if I had more time...I was some what smart this year and only accepted judging assignments during times that would not interfere with me running my knucklehead! Heck he only needs one more Master pass...good thing I'm the HTS I'll be able to enter him immediately after I open the event! hahahahaha talk about an advantage! That's about the only benefit for being the HTS!

Proudly Owned By:

I have to support FOM here. In 10+ years in HTs in CO I have never seen a pro or client toss a few birds or help with equipment. I can say the same for tests I have ran in NM, NE and SD. I've been Chair, Equipment guy, Bird Flunky, Popper Station Grunt and so on. It's always the same handful for each club. Shoot, I 've been yelled at by FOM before so if you are at her test, you better me moving something or planning to move something or else....
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Joe - And you loved every single minute of it.....weeeeeee weeeeee weeeeee

Proudly Owned By: