The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest blind retrieve ever??

Default Longest blind retrieve ever??

Working pretty hard on extending my dogs pattern blinds out to what I would consider way further than I would ever need to send him (+250 yds) preparing and ramping up to start cold blinds in the next couple of weeks when I got to thinking, what is the furthest anybody has ever successfully sent a dog on a cold blind/blind retrieve?

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Working pretty hard on extending my dogs pattern blinds out to what I would consider way further than I would ever need to send him (+250 yds) preparing and ramping up to start cold blinds in the next couple of weeks when I got to thinking, what is the furthest anybody has ever successfully sent a dog on a cold blind/blind retrieve?
    With or without an intermediate handler to take over?

Ha, I remember Pete having someone hiding in bush half way out to a long ass blind so dog could hear the bloody whistle. He still handled though.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I ran one so long I had to have a spotter and I could see the vapor trail.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdogs View Post
    I ran one so long I had to have a spotter and I could see the vapor trail.
    Was his name Bullet?
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

There are two obvious components, can you see the dog and can the dog hear the whistle. There are many variables so there is no singular answer. With appropriate terrain and wind 500+ yards is doable but on flat ground with an unfavorable wind 250 yards might not be doable.

When the JUDGES need binocs, that's too long!

When I trained at a abandoned runway, Bong Recreational, Kenosha, Wisconsin used to toss bumpers out the window of my truck and run them back at upwards of 1/6 to 1/8th of a mile. At the time thought doing marks and blinds at that distance was "cool" training. Then couldn't figure out why my dog didn't take angle backs and overran every short mark she ever ran and wanted to go long. The dog I did that with is long deceased, still train at Bong, though, but, don't do those silly blinds anymore. Length of blinds? conventional wisdom! Oh I know of one very prominent Pro used to station folks to run the dogs as they went and jump out as the dogs went by. True story,don't think he trains that way anymore.
    Earl Dillow

In training 1/4 mile is about the longest I have done. Pretty much a "pattern blind" for my older dogs, from a mound on the front my 40 acres, to a crooked diseased black poplar tree on the back fence line.

Hunting was just shy of 3/4 of a mile. From the top of the highest hill outside Leeds ND on a spring Snow Goose hunt, bird sailed to a ditch on the "correction line" as it was called by the locals, we were on the 1st fence line into the section which was 1/4 mile in. Course this was hunting so we let him fade with the wind and he ended up 50 or 75 yards down wind and hunted it in from there. One of those times where you would have done ANYTHING to get that on film, but trust me it is BURNED into my mind.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    In training 1/4 mile is about the longest I have done. Pretty much a "pattern blind" for my older dogs, from a mound on the front my 40 acres, to a crooked diseased black poplar tree on the back fence line.

Hunting was just shy of 3/4 of a mile. From the top of the highest hill outside Leeds ND on a spring Snow Goose hunt, bird sailed to a ditch on the "correction line" as it was called by the locals, we were on the 1st fence line into the section which was 1/4 mile in. Course this was hunting so we let him fade with the wind and he ended up 50 or 75 yards down wind and hunted it in from there. One of those times where you would have done ANYTHING to get that on film, but trust me it is BURNED into my mind.
    Cool ! Thanks for sharing.. I can picture that ... !
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger