The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longest blind retrieve ever??

been there....and done one of Dr. Ed's 450 right blind....550 left blind doubles. Thanks for the education Ed.

We have gone on a few spring snow goose hunts. The field we hunt in is about 800 acres of tilled black dirt around the hunt area. We have done some that were maybe 1000 yds. Usually get them going that diriction and after about 400 yds they cant hear any more and keep truckin. Then they see the big white goose on the black dirt. These were all age dogs in great shape and we would only do 2 or so a day because they are wore out. Its cool to have 5 or 10 hunters all looking thru binocs at a blind retrieve and all cheers and high 5 when the dog picks the bird up.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Or.....after 300 yrds into a out to sea water blind the bird starts to flap on the water getting you that last 100 yrds. I have had that a couple of times....like a gift from the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKEHAVEN View Post
    In training 1/4 mile is about the longest I have done. Pretty much a "pattern blind" for my older dogs, from a mound on the front my 40 acres, to a crooked diseased black poplar tree on the back fence line.

Hunting was just shy of 3/4 of a mile. From the top of the highest hill outside Leeds ND on a spring Snow Goose hunt, bird sailed to a ditch on the "correction line" as it was called by the locals, we were on the 1st fence line into the section which was 1/4 mile in. Course this was hunting so we let him fade with the wind and he ended up 50 or 75 yards down wind and hunted it in from there. One of those times where you would have done ANYTHING to get that on film, but trust me it is BURNED into my mind.
    About the same for me...was somewhere around '95 and we were somewhere around Boissevein (SP?) Manitoba on a fall snow goose hunt probably in early September. We sailed one that went into the queens land and we were on another fence line 1/2 mile away & were in canola stubble (short no cover). I stopped Zeus on the fenceline for the queens land & gave him a final cast into the cover & as he ducked under the fence we lost him in the cover. About 5 minutes later he popped out with the goose - it was just over 1/2 mile blind run & the last ?? on a huntmup...

Best part is a local happened to be watching us & introduced himself to our party & said how much he enjoyed watching good dog work. He then invited us back to his quanset building (sp? again) and showed us the 17 sections of land he owned and said we could hunt any of it..

Over the next 5 or so years he was always happy to see us arrive - and asked I pull zeus out of the trailer so he could give him a biscuit... and yes I wish I had that on film...

SMO
    SMO

Quote Originally Posted by shane olean View Post
    about the same for me...was somewhere around '95 and we were somewhere around boissevein (sp?) manitoba on a fall snow goose hunt probably in early september. We sailed one that went into the queens land and we were on another fence line 1/2 mile away & were in canola stubble (short no cover). I stopped zeus on the fenceline for the queens land & gave him a final cast into the cover & as he ducked under the fence we lost him in the cover. About 5 minutes later he popped out with the goose - it was just over 1/2 mile blind run & the last ?? On a huntmup...

Best part is a local happened to be watching us & introduced himself to our party & said how much he enjoyed watching good dog work. He then invited us back to his quanset building (sp? Again) and showed us the 17 sections of land he owned and said we could hunt any of it..

Over the next 5 or so years he was always happy to see us arrive - and asked i pull zeus out of the trailer so he could give him a biscuit... And yes i wish i had that on film...

Smo
    nice !!!!!!!!!
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

When I imported my most recent dog from Ireland I told them to take him to the western shore, point him southwest and say BACK. I was gonna go to South Carolina and wait on him. It was raining though... so they flew him.
    -Barton Ramsey

Longest blind retrieve ever?? About 25 minutes, I thought he'd caught the bus home. Moonflighting duck on the Severn; the old boy knew I'd hit it (I wasn't sure) and it went out of view over the Wyre forest which comes right down to the river at that spot.

The best blind retrieve that any dog of mine ever made was the same fellow but only about 40-ish yards. That was another night time job, a running woodcock in a Christmas tree plantation that was as black as pitch. He was 200 yards away in the car when the bird was shot, but I cast him off from where the Gun stood. Five or six minutes and he'd got it. And no, he wasn't a Labrador.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 02-19-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

My best dog I did one drill 600 yds straight and re-run , stop at 300 yds and cast 100 yds into the wind either left or right , and finish w.no wind. I also had another drill where he got to a big rock @ 200 yds and had to jump the rock about 4 feet high and 8 feet deep . He was non-collar. You train harder than the trial. Not bragging just telling. Do I have an NFC ? No. I will keep going until I die or run out of money. Hardcore amateur but not too proud to pay a pro (1st tier only) when my brain/experience is not enough. Good luck.