The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SH vs MH

Default SH vs MH

I understand what the difference is as far as what the dog needs to do to achieve each title. Just curious as to why some dogs stay at SH level? Is it because that is what that particular dog is capable of? Or does it have more to do with that is as far as the owner wants to take them. I would think any dog that can be trained to a SH level would be able to obtain MH status as well. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Are some dogs only capable of a SH level and not "smart" enough to go on to MH? I have a pup with a SH sire and am curious if it is the dog or the owner that chose not to go on to a MH. Hopefully this makes some sense???

Swamp Collies and Show Dogs mostly.

Just trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

My old dog Flash was "just a SH"...he could of passed Master except for the heeling to the line...I created a test wise dog, it took many, many years to get him to walk to the line with me vs. kindly pointing out how slowly I walked and exactly where the line was! He could do all the requirements of a Master dog, but that one....by the time I figured out I was an idiot he was one pass short for his HRCH and I was playing the white coat game with my next dog Bullet. So...hopefully that helps with your question.

And my Flash is a prime example of why, when a newbie is given the advice to slow down, don't be in a hurry to run your puppy in events that the old time RTFers just shake their heads when down the road a few months later the same poster is asking how to fix issues which are a direct cause for running a young dog way too often! But hey Flash got me lots of ribbons at a young age...(God I miss that dog!)
    Last edited by FOM; 02-18-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

The mechanics are the same but difficulty level goes up exponentially, some can handle it some can't.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I know a breeder that trains hunting dogs but always gets a JH or SH title for his personal dogs to add to their value. He doesn't take it farther because the training is a different direction than he trains a hunter (in his words).

My opinion is still out on it. He has some NICE hunting dogs that do thing I bet a MH wouldn't do and vis-a-versa.

Money, time, dogs ability, lose interest in the game....

lots of reasons

Can't get into any master tests.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Can't get into master tests because if limited entries....
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

Im going to take my Trap thru senior and seasoned only.
    I personally don't see where doing the requirements for mh will make him any better of a hunting dog.
    He doesn't have to do blind retrieves to those distances in my hunting situations, nor has to stay in the water just feet from shore, when in hunting its faster to take the shore.
    To me, its just a game at that level.

But,
    Who knows, maybe I may try master one day, and get hooked all over again?!

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    I understand what the difference is as far as what the dog needs to do to achieve each title. Just curious as to why some dogs stay at SH level? Is it because that is what that particular dog is capable of? Or does it have more to do with that is as far as the owner wants to take them. I would think any dog that can be trained to a SH level would be able to obtain MH status as well. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Are some dogs only capable of a SH level and not "smart" enough to go on to MH? I have a pup with a SH sire and am curious if it is the dog or the owner that chose not to go on to a MH. Hopefully this makes some sense???
    No not all dogs that achieve a SH are capable of a MH. With that being said there are a variety of reasons why a person would not go any further as have previously been stated.