The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy Retrieving Question

Default Puppy Retrieving Question

I have an 8wk BLF that is a ball of fire out of a great line of Champions that I am very excited about. The past week I have just been letting her be a puppy, meet the family and do socialization stuff. The past few days I have been taking her in the hallway and throwing a toy or small bumper. She runs to the bumper like a bat out of hell and either picks it up and drops it halfway or sits and chews on it. Once in a while she will bring it back. Im giving tons of praise either way because I love the CHASE drive she has. I have only been giving her one or maybe two tosses each day because as ive read, I want to leave her wanting more. My question is the wanting more. She seems to care less weather she gets another retrieve or not. I don't want to sound like im trying to push this dog too hard, just curious if it sounds like im doing things correct? Its been a long time since ive had a little pup around and the only reason Im even asking this question is because in Hillmanns puppy video he starts with a 10wk old pup and the pup seems to be bringing the bumper back pretty well. Should I expect to see this at 10wks. I would like to start hillmanns training at 10-12wks. Where should you expect the pup to be before starting this program. Just looking for honest opinions. Thanks

I havnt started anything with a lead yet as im under the impression that I should let her be WILD about retrieving before teaching anything else. Didn't know if this was correct or if I should have a lead on her to coax her back when she picks it up?

I have a five month old ball of retrieving fire from a FC/AFC to FC/AFC breeding. When I first brought her home, she was not at all interested in retrieving. Like you I was worried. Each morning, I would throw a toy down the hallway. Sometimes she would chase after it, sometimes not. I resisted the urge to try more retrieves, or try more frequently. After two weeks, the light bulb came on and we have never looked back. Patience.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

She is a baby. You just brought her home. I would not be concerned at this age. When I start my pups retrieving, I sit at the end of a long hallway, close all the bedroom doors so they can't be distracted and I throw something down to the end of the hall. I have a stuffed tube sock that works perfectly. Some people use itty-bitty paint rollers. They run and get it I pull them back on a light string I've clipped on their collar. It's a very light string at that age. And I praise the daylights out of them when they come back to me, even if they don't bring the toy or object back with them. I also give little pieces of treat, about the size of a pencil eraser. I become the human Pez dispenser. Everything should be happy happy happy. 2-3 retrieves. That is all. It will all come in time.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

It will happen! She is only 8 weeks and you just got her. Have fun!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray