The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where should I be in my puppy training?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasintail View Post
    Again, thanks for the replies and help guys.

I'm jealous of you getting to work on water retrieves though, I wish I could get Nelli in the water sooner but with the weather here it's going to be months before I can. Today was the first day in what seems like forever that the ponds were finally thawed out. She does like to play around in the shallow water in the creeks though so I'm sure she'll take to it just fine.

I have been lucky that here in Texas it has really warmed up lately. Where are you located?

Also do not worry about her not getting in water yet. She will be able to swim and it won't put her behind if you wait. You need to put her safety and her good first swimming experience as priority. If it warms up and you take her and just let her play at the edge that is good enough. Then once it warms up and you get out in the water she should be swimming in no time. I was worried my girl would be behind since she was a fall pup and the water was cold, but she caught on quick

It was good to read your thread, I'm in a similar situation. I have a 14 week old female also. Lots of drive, had been retrieving and bringing right back to me without a check chord and now she's feeling a little independent and started running past me. When I put on the check chord its fairly distracting to her. I have Sound beggining and its a good video. She sits and will not move if have food or treats, if not it isn't instantaneous. Just keeping at it. Nice to see I'm not in the boat alone.

Danjor, I'm in Kentucky. We go on walks around the woods and ponds every now and then off leash to try and build her confidence. Today was the first day it has been in the 40s-50s and the ponds were finally thawed. Was the first time she's been near deeper water. She really wanted to go in but wasn't sure about it, I wouldn't have let her any way with the water temps being so low but that's just good to know.

Willidru, I'd start using a leash or check cord anytime your outside, she'll be used to it being there in just a matter of days. Good luck to you, you're pup looks a lot like mine.

Heres a picture of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasintail View Post
    Danjor, I'm in Kentucky. We go on walks around the woods and ponds every now and then off leash to try and build her confidence. Today was the first day it has been in the 40s-50s and the ponds were finally thawed. Was the first time she's been near deeper water. She really wanted to go in but wasn't sure about it, I wouldn't have let her any way with the water temps being so low but that's just good to know.

Willidru, I'd start using a leash or check cord anytime your outside, she'll be used to it being there in just a matter of days. Good luck to you, you're pup looks a lot like mine.

Heres a picture of her.

She is really cute! Have fun!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    She is really cute! Have fun!
    Thanks. Don't let that face fool you though, she's a little menace. She's growing like a weed though, it won't be long before she's out of that pup stage. I can't wait lol