The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big entries at all levels.....what's going on?

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Default Big entries at all levels.....what's going on?

Bryan-College Station RC's test closed last night with a limited 180 master entry, 77 Seniors, Saturday 88 Juniors, and Sunday there are 95 Junior dogs entered! 440 total entries!

Let's see, more judges, more bird technicians, more birds, more Marshall's, more everything!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Been a long cold winter, people want to get out and play with their dogs
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

TX when all the pros are still down there? Around here the MH are filling up, but nothing like that in JH and SH. Having to split SH is almost as bad as splitting MH. I feel sorry for y'all.

I can speculate that the reason is a pro is only going to load their trailer if they can run ALL thier dogs. Probably they are bringing all thier dogs running tests when they finally get into a Master test.

How do derby entries look for the area overall?
    Darrin Greene

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    TX when all the pros are still down there? Around here the MH are filling up, but nothing like that in JH and SH. Having to split SH is almost as bad as splitting MH. I feel sorry for y'all.
    We had set the test up expecting to split senior! We thought for a while we might have to open a third flight of seniors though. It is the Juniors that caught us by surprise this year. The others Texas tests have had roughly 40 entries in Junior each day. We'll be running 3 master flight and 2 Junior flights on Saturday and 3 masters, 2 seniors, and 2 juniors on Sunday!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    We had set the test up expecting to split senior! We thought for a while we might have to open a third flight of seniors though. It is the Juniors that caught us by surprise this year. The others Texas tests have had roughly 40 entries in Junior each day. We'll be running 3 master flight and 2 Junior flights on Saturday and 3 masters, 2 seniors, and 2 juniors on Sunday!
    20 JH or SH dogs is big around here. Folks have started running both of each on the same day or other things to try to get more of them, but there is definitely way less interest in JH and SH.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Been a long cold winter, people want to get out and play with their dogs
    I'm guessing this is a big reason. Due to frozen tundra north of the Red River, many pros are still down here training and running their dogs later into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Don't feel sorry for us. We live in Texas...!

I'm just kidding.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

This is like any other sport /club ,when you 1st get involved your stomach has butterflies and you cant wait to get more of your "fix" ,but as time goes on and the silver lining wears off ,you start to see politics and the good ole' boys club 1st hand (secret texting of the opening times). After awhile it just turns into more work less fun and those newbies fade away. Then once you see pro's getting 20+ entered, but your expected to leave your dog at home (the reason you joined the club) ,but work for several days, it drives the final nails in the coffin and you loose those members,the up and comers if you will.

Another issue in my area ,and likely the hole midwest is the land, most plots of land here that carry any size to them are in crops ,and IF a farmer has enough land ,they just have cow ponds and the pastures are fenced off to separate things.

I considered working on my dogs MH title this year ,with no interest in the national ,but I wont fight the crowds, I'll see if my dog is able to play the AA stakes when she gets back from Texas and if not .... She'll train for duck season from here on out.

Most newbies ,myself included start with HT because it isnt quite so intimidating.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "