The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retrieving in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    What do you think pup will be learning from such an activity?

She won't be learning to mark, if she can't see the mark.

She won't be learning about handling (to follow your directions on blind retrieves).

Basically she is learning to run wild as far as I can tell.
    I was really making sure to spend time with the dog as time allowed in a busy schedulea as well as trying to keeping her desire to retrieve and hunt. She loves it, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a hidden detriment to working with her in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    If you don't know what your pup is doing because you can't see it (which is what I gathered from your OP), then your pup might be learning something you don't want it to learn by throwing bumpers in the dark that you expect it to find with its nose. So like FOM says it may depend on your goals for the pup. If you want to teach pup advanced handling, for example, teaching it early on to rely on its nose may come back to bite you.

Ok so misunderstanding. I am not in complete darkness there are some surrounding lighting that cast on the yard in which you can see the dog. Most of the time she sees the bumper fall or gets the general direction and sniffs it out of a bush or on the hill. I can definitely see her working.

Ok so misunderstanding. I am not in complete darkness there are some surrounding lighting that cast on the yard in which you can see the dog. Most of the time she sees the bumper fall or gets the general direction and sniffs it out of a bush or on the hill. I can definitely see her working.

I dont see any harm as long as there is some light. Better than having your pup bored sitting on the couch. Although I do not see any training advantage coming from it. Enjoy the pup and keep having fun. Pups love fun.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Not that I know much now but back when I knew absolutly nothing I got my first dog. We were often at a FLW house tucked in heavy woods dotted with granite boulders. At night from the second floor deck half sloshed we would hit tennis balls way out into the darkness. Dog would hustle down the stairs into the woods and return promptly. Dont recall she ever missed retrieving one.
    Now, she was from the land where they breed for nose so maybe that splains it
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Not that I know much now but back when I knew absolutly nothing I got my first dog. We were often at a FLW house tucked in heavy woods dotted with granite boulders. At night from the second floor deck half sloshed we would hit tennis balls way out into the darkness. Dog would hustle down the stairs into the woods and return promptly. Dont recall she ever missed retrieving one.
    Now, she was from the land where they breed for nose so maybe that splains it
    A friend would do this too. I was always amazed how the dog never failed to come back with the tennis ball. Sometimes it took awhile but, he always found it.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA