The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonic twist--any experience?

I have a dog that had gastric torsion, splenic torsion, and colonic torsion (FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer). Buffy was a finalist in the 2007 National Am. She had the colonic torsion in July 2013 and shows no signs of continuing issues. She is now recovering from a broken toe. Buffy is my poster child for pet insurance.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    Were these prominent dogs working retrievers? The vets here have very little experience--out of four vets, one has seen one prior case. I wonder if it's one of those things that are more common in the working retriever world than in the general pet world. And in turn, if being in lean condition and working every day may be a risk factor.

Other conditions I think we see more commonly than the average vet: limber tail, panosteitis.

Amy Dahl

Another one of my dogs - FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator - had splenic torsion. So, maybe torsion is more common is working dogs. I don't know.

Home of:

Sorry, I don't know all the details of where or type of twist it was. The people who had the dog have since retired and moved, but I will see if I can get further details. It is nice to see some dogs have recovered and lead normal lives. Here's hoping you have a similar positive result.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    2NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I have a dog that had gastric torsion, splenic torsion, and colonic torsion (FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer). Buffy was a finalist in the 2007 National Am. She had the colonic torsion in July 2013 and shows no signs of continuing issues. She is now recovering from a broken toe. Buffy is my poster child for pet insurance.
    Wow, Ted, you've really been through it with Buffy. Good for you catching things in time three times over (and once with your other dog). Judging from how my week has been, that must have been stressful!

I've seen some of your posts on pet insurance but didn't make the connection (didn't have a reason to remember all of the details back when I'd never experienced it). Think I'm going to look into it now.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know all the details of where or type of twist it was. The people who had the dog have since retired and moved, but I will see if I can get further details. It is nice to see some dogs have recovered and lead normal lives. Here's hoping you have a similar positive result.
    I'll be interested if you come up with anything. I haven't had a chance to follow up on the research suggestions, having been pretty busy nursing this dog, but I intend to. I hope to get an idea of the risks he faces going forward. He is a gun dog and has more than met his owner's training goals, so we could take him out of training if it appears that is a big risk factor.

The dog is doing well, by the way. I think he's mostly past the stage where we had to worry about needing a second surgery for necrosis/peritonitis. He's obviously feeling good, getting bouncy and hard to contain. Of course he's on limited activity--crate and leash walk, not the easiest with a working retriever--but a challenge I'm extremely happy to have!

Amy Dahl

Wow, Ted, you've really been through it with Buffy. Good for you catching things in time three times over (and once with your other dog). Judging from how my week has been, that must have been stressful!

My pro, Cherylon Loveland, saw Buffy lying down in the airing yard, felt her stomach, and then rushed her to Colorado State University. Any more time, and she would have died.

The two subsequent occasions, I thought something was wrong, got her in immediately for X rays, and they operated.

On each occasion, time was of the essence.

Home of:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23535755

Hope this helps and all is well.
    "Appears to have been a glitch or two." Sheriff Ed Tom Bell

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Amy, Try Richard Underwood in Polson Montana. His National Finalist, Mia, died from this just a couple of years ago. He did make it to the vet but not in time to save her. He should be able to give you the details.
    Rob
    I have a full blood brother and sister of Mia. Very nice dogs. Been fortunate not to have this problem so far with them.

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Amy, Unfortunately I have become very well versed in dealing with this. Call my cell 715-220-3186 may be able to help you with after care.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

I'll be interested if you come up with anything. I haven't had a chance to follow up on the research suggestions, having been pretty busy nursing this dog, but I intend to. I hope to get an idea of the risks he faces going forward. He is a gun dog and has more than met his owner's training goals, so we could take him out of training if it appears that is a big risk factor.

The dog is doing well, by the way. I think he's mostly past the stage where we had to worry about needing a second surgery for necrosis/peritonitis. He's obviously feeling good, getting bouncy and hard to contain. Of course he's on limited activity--crate and leash walk, not the easiest with a working retriever--but a challenge I'm extremely happy to have!

Amy Dahl
    Been watching this thread and learning a little... But am relieved to hear the dog is doing well!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)