The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

I've got an 8 month old lab that all she want to do is run around and playwhen I try to train her. She doesn't wanna fetch or listen to me. What should I do? Is it to late to train her? Would she ever make a good duck dog?

Has the dog been force fetched and collar conditioned? What about basic obedience, sit, stay, here, down, ???

No and she will sit and come

Welcome to the forum. No its not too late to train her and that's exactly what she needs, training. Put her on a lead to control her actions and then find yourself some good material so you can learn to train her. Find experienced help to guide you through. Good luck.

I would say no it's not too late to train her to be a good gundog if she has the ability. I second Tony Marshall's advice on finding some good training material. I realized the dog isn't a small puppy but it is still a puppy and needs to start building most of the skills that start with puppy training. I would recommend you start with some material like Jackie Mertens.
    http://www.ybsmedia.com/index.php/sh...jackie-mertens

This isn't the most well organized resource but it is good, and free which is always nice.
    http://www.trainingretrieverpuppies.com/

From puppy training I would move into one of the popular retriever training programs like Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training. Ad above in banner.

I would also add that I wouldn't recommend contemplating force fetch just yet. As I said earlier there is a progression of built upon skills that your dog needs to have before FF. Same for using the e collar. Teach obedience in a positive manner. Once the skill is learned and learned well, reinforce with the collar.

Right now just continue to building excitement for the retrieve. Keep retrieves to a minimum (as many as your dog can take before getting bored or distracted). Dont' be too rigid in your training right now...keep it fun for the pup. You have to learn how to make the dog think you're the center of the universerse and to want what you have (i.e. the bumper or bird). Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by dpate; 02-18-2014 at 09:34 PM.

patience is a virtue....repetition is key. and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Good luck and welcome!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrams14 View Post
    ..... all she want to do is run around and play.......what should I do?.......
    time for "Run Around Sue" to meet coil of poly

welcome to the RTF
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    time for "Run Around Sue" to meet coil of poly

welcome to the RTF
    I second this. The first thing I thought of was a lead and chock chain to get control of the dog.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

All really good comments above....I would add....instead of a choke chain, consider a pinch collar with the lead noted above. For me they work best, others may disagree...

You can check out a good style of pinch collar on www.lolalimited.net...my trainer put me on to these and they work great. The lady that makes them calls them the "Secret Powers" training collar...good luck

Definitely start with the basics, over and over.. Experienced help is definitely good to learn her some tips and tricks like fetching