The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First Seasoned Test Question?

Default First Seasoned Test Question?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but during the water portion of a seasoned test, when the dog comes out of the water if he drops the bird to shake and then picks it back up and still delivers to hand will the dog be dropped? My dog has been FF'ed, but he sometimes does this. I always correct very quickly with a fetch command and nick. Then command hold and have him hold it in his mouth at my side before taking it. Just looking for a more straight forward answer on what is considered Delivering to Hand in a seasoned test. Thanks

As long as the dog delivers to hand you should be fine. Depending on the judge you might get marked down a little for trainability though. Continue to strive for a standard in which the dog will deliver to hand and then shake on command. I would suggest getting a "here" correction rather than fetch. Your dog will better understand what his job is with this correction. Good luck.

Thanks Tony, I'll try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasDuck View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but during the water portion of a seasoned test, when the dog comes out of the water if he drops the bird to shake and then picks it back up and still delivers to hand will the dog be dropped? My dog has been FF'ed, but he sometimes does this. I always correct very quickly with a fetch command and nick. Then command hold and have him hold it in his mouth at my side before taking it. Just looking for a more straight forward answer on what is considered Delivering to Hand in a seasoned test. Thanks
    No, he will not be dropped

A single drop? No you shouldn't be dropped.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I would hope it wouldn't be a problem. If your pup dropped every bird and you had to tell him to fetch it up every time it could be an issue. It's not that uncommon for a young dog to drop a duck after he gets out of the water and shake the water out of his ears. As others have said, keep working with him and keep your standards high and you'll have no problems.
    Last edited by Keith S.; 02-18-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasDuck View Post
    I had this problem about a year ago, I did exactly what Tony said, Started maybe 3 feet from the waters edge and as soon as his feet hit mud I said "here" any hesitation or looking like he was going to drop it, it was "here" nick "here". Once he was good at 3' I backed up to 10', then 30, then 50 yards. After he returned to heel I only let him shake after I had taken the bird from him. If he tried to shake before I took the bird at heel he got a "sit" nick "sit". Worked for me, now he comes out of the water, returns to heel lets me take the bird and shakes off.
    Daren Galloway

My young lab did the exact same thing this past week in Seasoned, her first. She dropped it, I said fetch, and she picked it up and delivered to hand...after that initial shake. I am working on "hold, hold, hold" and if she drops it, nick. Practice time.
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

SHR Duchess Ellie of Highlands

I also need to work on this -- I just hope we have open water by the time the first hunt tests come around!

No, they shouldn't be dropped. I've seen dogs do it at the Finished level and not get dropped. If it happens repeatedly they could get dropped though.