The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New suffix title QA2

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    These exceptions toward the QA2 suffix title. Just the required points being earned at specialties or at the O/H Q's as well?

john
    Towards the QA2 title. using the specialties. I guess the premiss has been made for OH Ams points to count so I would guess that as moot. Also since the Q's are open to pro and Am that does not matter as well.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I know for me , who is just starting to dabble in FTs, a QAA title is a worthy goal to start. In 5 years it might not mean as much , but right now I would be THRILLED to be able to put QA2 behind my dogs name....vote yes
    Yes, exactly Bridget. New to the game myself and I will gladly pay the nominal fee, especially knowing that I trained my own dog to that level!
    Cindy Galster

Home schooled and greatly loved!

OTCH Candi-Dan's Raven UDX OM3 RE SH (Raven)
    White Oaks Running The Numbers UD MH QA2 (Digit)
    Aire-E-Gator UD (Gator) Airedale

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Not even the same thing

You ask any dedicated FT'er and they are after 3 things

1. Titles -FC & AFC's

2. Qualify for National Opens and National Amateurs

3. Winning one of those events

cant honestly remember anyone telling me they were just interested in making their dog QAA...if they did, then chances are they didnt stay in the sport very long...Look at Lanse Brown, he lives to qualify for Nationals, as he tells me the titles are a result of him qualifying for those Nationals..

I am not going to tell anyone what drives Ted S and DrA, because I have no idea, but they have had their share of titled dogs and I will make an educated guess that the FC AFC is not their only goal when they get a puppy..

Most of the people I know that are in FT arent satisfied with just competing,they love the placements, but if they got a 4th, they want a 3rd, and the hungriest guy/gal at the FT is the one that just got a 2nd place, He/She is proud as heck but knows that they were just a fraction away from a win, and that is what will bring them back next weekend

I don't know what other people want, I do know what I want.

When I get a puppy, I am looking for a pup that will grow to be a consistent All Age Competitor, that has the ability to be a FC/AFC, consistently qualify for Nationals, and finish. I have been a finalist with two different dogs (Zowie and Buffy), should have been a finalist with another one (FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator) who got to the 9th series twice - but I think I didn't do enough to get Mootsie over the hump. Bad Ted.

I want to be there in the 10th series again and would like to win one of these things.

Because that is what I am looking for, I have washed out a lot of perfectly nice dogs along the way. I understand that others cannot or will not do so and make no judgments about their decisions. But, that is the path I have chosen.

Even though I want another FC/AFC who can qualify and compete in Nationals (this is the first time since 2003 that I have not had a titled dog on my truck), I try to appreciate the journey.

I have a five month puppy that I am working with now, that can almost heel backwards now, and it learning how to heel in increments around the clock. I am pretty pleased with that. If she makes the cut, when she finishes her first derby, I will be excited. And I will be excited when she gets her first place. And if she is still on the truck, when she gets QAA I will be excited then, too. Because I think it is important to enjoy the journey.

Do I enjoy the blue? Absolutely. But, more important to me is how hard my dog is trying and how well the two of us do as a team.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The QFTR designation has existed in Canada for a few years now.
    The fact is that you don't see all that many dogs showing the title on their entries. I'm not sure why.
    Some have it and don't show it. Maybe it isn't all that important to them.
    I think it matters.
    It is a motivating and attainable goal for newbies, so why not. It is also something to be proud of as they progress along their way to beating the people who don't see its value.
    Watch out!
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The Board of Directors made the proposal to be voted on by the AKC delegates in June, the vast majority of the delegates are conformation people and will likely rubber stamp the proposal so be not despaired, since they have already printed the application the passage was a foregone conclusion.
    Gee, I thought they were doing it because it will bring in revenue....
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

What I would like to know is, Why does it matter to those people who don't acknowledge the QAA as a worthy feat? I get that you are training for something bigger and bettter. I get that you put a lot of time and money into your passion to put out AA dogs. I get that you are stewards of the game. I get that you give back a ton, to the sport that you love. But, why diminish the QAA designation to people that obviously care about it so much? People in the dog games, often put down others in other dog games. Why? Can't you appreciate the fact that even though it might not be your cup of tea, it means something to somebody else? I think that no matter what you choose to do with your retriever, whether it's Field Trials, Hunt Test, SRS, or HRC that you are doing something that can't hurt the breed. I just think it's silly to not want something like a QA2 designation, just because you don't value it. In the end, it's all about the love of the dogs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    What I would like to know is, Why does it matter to those people who don't acknowledge the QAA as a worthy feat? I get that you are training for something bigger and bettter. I get that you put a lot of time and money into your passion to put out AA dogs. I get that you are stewards of the game. I get that you give back a ton, to the sport that you love. But, why diminish the QAA designation to people that obviously care about it so much? People in the dog games, often put down others in other dog games. Why? Can't you appreciate the fact that even though it might not be your cup of tea, it means something to somebody else? I think that no matter what you choose to do with your retriever, whether it's Field Trials, Hunt Test, SRS, or HRC that you are doing something that can't hurt the breed. I just think it's silly to not want something like a QA2 designation, just because you don't value it. In the end, it's all about the love of the dogs, right?
    There ya go !

What I would like to know is, Why does it matter to those people who don't acknowledge the QAA as a worthy feat?
    I don't think it matters to anyone. It is what it is. For some folks it will mean a lot, for some folks not enough to justify the fee and some folks will blow it way out of proportion to convince the less knowledgeable that it means way more than it does in an objective sense. At the end of the day it is more revenue for the AKC and it certainly likes more revenue!

Denver

I don't think that it is productive to over generalize. Some FT will support the QAA, some will not. That's just life.

If it is all about the dogs, don't let the humans ruin the experience.

Savor the journey.

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I will answer based on my responses..You might be reading MORE into my posts than is there in reality..I am NOT putting down a QA2, far from it, heck Mirk, Nola,Star, Stormy are QA2 according to the rules, but their time in the sun has come and gone, no telling how many more days we will have Mirk and Nola but at 13 the designation is no longer needed, it wont make a bit of difference on any future breedings that their offspring are involved in, its not a deal breaker...

No one will be happier for you or a fellow FT than me if/when your dog attains QA2, I will be one of the first to shake your hand and slap your back with an attaboy...

But its like when people ask" what do I need to get ready to compete in a Qualifying Stake", my answer still is train for the Open/Amateur, but run the test in front of you...in other words shoot for the stars,and the moon becomes a day trip...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"