RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New suffix title QA2

50K views 136 replies 54 participants last post by  Steve Shaver 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard about a new suffix title being considered by AKC for Retriever Field Trials - QA2. I guess it is going up for vote in March.

#2 · (Edited)
Here you go...

QA2 - New Retriever Field Trial Title
The Board VOTED to amend Chapter 14 of the Field Trial Rules & Standard Procedures for
Retrievers to create a new suffix title called Qualified All-Age 2 (QA2) that can be earned in
Retriever Field Trials. The title is earned when a dog on two occasions has met the qualifications
to enter the Limited All-Age stake. The QA2 title is meant to acknowledge an intermediate level of
achievement in order to encourage participants to remain active in the sport and their club. This
will be read at the March Delegate meeting for a VOTE at the June Delegate meeting.

Chapter 14, Section 14 (new section)
SECTION 14. QA2 Title. (Qualified All-Age 2) A Retriever shall be eligible to be
awarded the suffix title QA2 if on two occasions it has met the requirements to
participate in a Limited All-Age stake. The owner of a dog that is eligible for the
QA2 title shall submit a title application form developed by the Performance
Events Department along with a nominal processing fee. Once the qualifications
have been verified, the title shall be added to the dog’s record. The title will
appear on the dog’s pedigree. The submittal of the title application form is up to
the discretion of the owner. The QA2 title application form can be found one the
AKC website at
www.akc.org/events/fieldtrials/retrievers

#3 ·
Here you go...

QA2 - New Retriever Field Trial Title
The Board VOTED to amend Chapter 14 of the Field Trial Rules & Standard Procedures for
Retrievers to create a new suffix title called Qualified All-Age 2 (QA2) that can be earned in
Retriever Field Trials. The title is earned when a dog on two occasions has met the qualifications
to enter the Limited All-Age stake. The QA2 title is meant to acknowledge an intermediate level of
achievement in order to encourage participants to remain active in the sport and their club. This
will be read at the March Delegate meeting for a VOTE at the June Delegate meeting.

Chapter 14, Section 14 (new section)
SECTION 14. QA2 Title. (Qualified All-Age 2) A Retriever shall be eligible to be
awarded the suffix title QA2 if on two occasions it has met the requirements to
participate in a Limited All-Age stake. The owner of a dog that is eligible for the
QA2 title shall submit a title application form developed by the Performance
Events Department along with a nominal processing fee. Once the qualifications
have been verified, the title shall be added to the dog’s record. The title will
appear on the dog’s pedigree. The submittal of the title application form is up to
the discretion of the owner. The QA2 title application form can be found one the
AKC website at
www.akc.org/events/fieldtrials/retrievers

Great, thank you! So, two occasions of All-Age qualifications could be many different combinations such as

1st & 2nd in Qual
2nd & 2nd in Qual
1st & 1st in Qual
Qual 1st or 2nd and All Age Jam
2 All Age Jams
All Age placement and Jam

Did I miss something?

#4 ·
Yes, what is the "nominal processing fee"?

#5 · (Edited)
It's probably $20. The AKC Spaniel tests started offering an "Advanced" title, ie., MHA (Master Hunter Advanced) for the same reason, to keep titled dogs in the sport (more money for AKC). The catch is, the handler has to keep track of the additional passes and handler is responsible for getting Club Secretary to verify. Then, the handler must mail the form into AKC. BTW, for the Advanced Spaniel title, the dog must pass with an average score of 8 as opposed to 7.

#7 ·
Apparently. It looks like if you pay the fee, it goes on the pedigree. It doesn't mention QA1 or QAA or *** or whatever they will call it when QA2 (and eventually, QA3,QA4...QAn) comes out.

I wonder if you get the QA12 you will be eligible or the Field Dog Hall of Mediocrity? ;)

#13 · (Edited)
So if your dog is already QAA and you are chasing the QA2 title .Will it in turn make it more competitive to get QAA (QA1), because of more dogs being re-entered in the qualifying stakes looking to put the QA2 title on ?

I think this would be the bigger issue....My pup got his QAA a few weeks ago and then we canceled any plans for him to compete in any other QAA trials out of respect for other dogs trying to reach the same level. Obviously, this could change all that, something I could handle if I could now say I have another title for this dog...

#11 ·
I think it will be good for breeding purposes when looking back a few generations.
Why would that matter, does anyone really make breeding decisions based on a bitch 3-4 generations back who had no title. It is just another revenue source for AKC nothing more or less.

#10 ·
Its like signifying that you went to college....but didnt get a degree :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So does that mean that a RHOF dog like Super Powder will be eligible to be QA2

I thought QA2 were Bose headphones

#19 ·
Do you think that all those that cant get into a Master test will now go to a FT and chase after a QA2

as Dr A stated its another revenue source for AKC

#16 ·
I find it interesting that many of the folks that are not in favor of this have or had AA titled dogs. I also think most people with half a brain would know the difference when buying a pup that were FC/AFC , QAA, Derby list and so on. It certainly does not diminish the AA title. I also know a lot of really nice dogs that never got the win to title but had ample AA points. Once again you have to use your brain when selecting a pup. Also for a lot of folks to get a dog QAA is a big deal. Please dont be so snooty or snobby to down play their accomplishments. I am sure the QAA people are happy for you when you got your AA title. Think about it, folks spend thousands of dollars chasing a flippin 3 buck ribbon paying another 20 bucks who cares. If it does not mean anything to you then just wait until you AA title. Odds are that people that are against it will list the upcoming dog as QAA. Sure do see it in breeder ads "QAA at 26 months"

#18 ·
Sure do see it in breeder ads "QAA at 26 months"
You sure do and on online pedigrees, so it is not surprising to me that AKC will legitimize it for a fee. That's how they roll. I think it is useful information, as is letting folks know how many AA points a dog has even though it does not title. I don't see any downside to it.

#21 · (Edited)
Come-on people; we are always hearing the FT's are dieing, this will give the title chasers a FT title to put on their dogs, without having to compete in the Amateur or Open, might even bring in the Hunt test Pros. Most MH's could easily side into Quals, (double, blind, triple, blind all independent series) Of course they'd have to tweak the title so you could get something if you accumulated enough Jams, that would be QJA ;). A few of the newbies might go higher, it could save the entire venue. Just look what the MNH title did for the Hunt test. I'm just saying ;)

#24 ·
I have no objection to a QAA2, 3, etc. Nor do I have any objection to dogs remaining in the Qualifying. The up and comers are usually just passing through. Allowing dogs to remain in the Q would allow owners of older dogs who want to play on the weekends, but cannot play in the All Age, a place to have fun. But, like Ed, the designation means little to me in terms of getting a puppy.

#25 ·
I find it distasteful that there will be no distinction between acquiring the "title" in an open to all comers "Q" and the "other" :rolleyes: version.

I also find it problematic that limiting factor of having garnered the distinction in the previous calender year to be qualified to run certain limited AA stakes has not been addressed as yet.

... but ll in all it will make little to no difference to all but a few than using the old stand by ***

john

#30 ·
*** is a Golden and Chessie(?) designation not recognized by AKC.

I remember a guy running a Q I was judging with a 10 year old dog. If I recall he did not place but did Jam and was the most happy I have seen anyone in all the FT I have been to. On the other hand I saw a old veteran get a Jam ribbon in the open and throw it on the ground at the award ceremony.

Different outcomes as they can be.

#32 ·
On the other hand I saw a old veteran get a Jam ribbon in the open and throw it on the ground at the award ceremony.
Once I got roped in to chairing my breed clubs specialty conformation and obedience show. Someone threw away their ribbon that was the equivalent of a JAM. Didn't toss it on the ground in disgust or anything but just put it in the trash can on the way out of town. We had to hold a misconduct hearing.

#33 ·
Interesting Penn, that was my first thought on reading that one. Misconduct? Or is brattiness accepted in the upper levels?

#38 ·
I had only been in the sport a few months but knew what it took to get to a open jam level dog. If I judged or witnessed that now we would have a a meeting of the FT committee. That was poor sportsman ship in a text book form.

#43 ·
I will agre that most in the FT game are in it for the "N" or AFC/FC designation. Myself included. But will give credit that the QAA dog is not the average backyard poop eater.

#45 ·
At any of the Specialties, if a dog qualifies to become AA, that is accepted by the AKC. The win in an AA stake does not count towards the title as the win needed, but can count as 5 pts towards that title. It can, combined with other points, qualify a dog for a National.

Quite a few years back, in a Chessie Specialty, the judges withheld first and second place in the Qual as they did not feel any of the competitors were worthy of being QAA. This resulted in the AKC coming up with new regulations to prevent the withholding of first or second place unless they withheld all the placements.

Glenda

#46 ·
I know for me , who is just starting to dabble in FTs, a QAA title is a worthy goal to start. In 5 years it might not mean as much , but right now I would be THRILLED to be able to put QA2 behind my dogs name....vote yes

#52 ·
Yes, exactly Bridget. New to the game myself and I will gladly pay the nominal fee, especially knowing that I trained my own dog to that level!

#48 ·
The Board of Directors made the proposal to be voted on by the AKC delegates in June, the vast majority of the delegates are conformation people and will likely rubber stamp the proposal so be not despaired, since they have already printed the application the passage was a foregone conclusion.

#55 ·
Gee, I thought they were doing it because it will bring in revenue.... ;-)

#49 ·
Since when did the term Title apply to letters following a dogs name? People simply start saying it and it becomes so. ?

#54 ·
The QFTR designation has existed in Canada for a few years now.
The fact is that you don't see all that many dogs showing the title on their entries. I'm not sure why.
Some have it and don't show it. Maybe it isn't all that important to them.
I think it matters.
It is a motivating and attainable goal for newbies, so why not. It is also something to be proud of as they progress along their way to beating the people who don't see its value.
Watch out!

#56 ·
What I would like to know is, Why does it matter to those people who don't acknowledge the QAA as a worthy feat? I get that you are training for something bigger and bettter. I get that you put a lot of time and money into your passion to put out AA dogs. I get that you are stewards of the game. I get that you give back a ton, to the sport that you love. But, why diminish the QAA designation to people that obviously care about it so much? People in the dog games, often put down others in other dog games. Why? Can't you appreciate the fact that even though it might not be your cup of tea, it means something to somebody else? I think that no matter what you choose to do with your retriever, whether it's Field Trials, Hunt Test, SRS, or HRC that you are doing something that can't hurt the breed. I just think it's silly to not want something like a QA2 designation, just because you don't value it. In the end, it's all about the love of the dogs, right?

#59 ·

Denver

I don't think that it is productive to over generalize. Some FT will support the QAA, some will not. That's just life.

If it is all about the dogs, don't let the humans ruin the experience.

Savor the journey.

Ted

#61 ·
MNH Haven't heard anyone complain!-- But a lot more $, QA2 for $20 Sounds cheap to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.