The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VA: Hunting with dogs is jeopardized

By the way, can somebody who has experience please tell me: what kind of hound can't climb a fence? Mine can climb my 6' stake fence, and he'll climb the chain link up onto the kennel roofs to harass the cat, etc. Seems to come very naturally.

Amy Dahl

Amy,
    It has been my experience with hounds climbing is not breed specific. Some do it and some don't those that do get a wire top on there kennel. I have not seen any that never had a climber to include beagles.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    By the way, can somebody who has experience please tell me: what kind of hound can't climb a fence? Mine can climb my 6' stake fence, and he'll climb the chain link up onto the kennel roofs to harass the cat, etc. Seems to come very naturally.

Amy Dahl
    From memory the fox pen fences were about 8' high, but not so much to keep the hounds contained as to keep deer out. Never saw a hound try to get out of one because they're so big, it's not obvious to them that it's an enclosure.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    From memory the fox pen fences were about 8' high, but not so much to keep the hounds contained as to keep deer out. Never saw a hound try to get out of one because they're so big, it's not obvious to them that it's an enclosure.
    I was thinking they'd just see it as an obstacle, more than an enclosure. But then, if whatever they were trailing didn't go over the fence, the hounds wouldn't have much reason to. They'd have to not be interested in raccoons I guess.

I don't know much about hounds--just that coonhounds have to climb fences to do their job, and my hound* (which I found, and would gladly give away to a good hunting home) takes to it naturally.

*Pretty sure he's a Beagle X Bluetick. He'll run rabbits until he drops, and will tree the cat for 45 minutes or more.

Amy Dahl