The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lining assistance

Default Lining assistance

Working with a 1yr old male lab he doesn't want to line up and look at the back pile. Applied await bucket for a visual aid he looks away. He understands where the pike is say back he's gone, whistle sit good look at u take a back cast with ease. Besides wagon wheel any ideas.

What he is doing is called bugging,he is trying to avoid doing the work,usually because the dog has not been properly forced fetched or dog is under to much pressure.Are you following a program?

stop sending from your side
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    stop sending from your side
    Zactly. That was my first thought.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

FF is a non issue could be little to much pressure, usually worked through it by now with other dogs. As far as remote sends we do those also, that want help a dog learn to recognize a line to take.

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    Working with a 1yr old male lab he doesn't want to line up and look at the back pile. Applied await bucket for a visual aid he looks away. He understands where the pike is say back he's gone, whistle sit good look at u take a back cast with ease. Besides wagon wheel any ideas.
    A lot is going to depend on how you have gone about forcing the dog to the pile. If he is already going to the pile with gusto and you have enroute forced him AND he is going without hesitatation EVERY time you say back the FIRST time then I would say it is a bugging issue and "here" nick "here" would be the correction. If the answer is no to any of the above I agree send him from front finish.

I guess I'm confused everyone says stop sending from your side at what point do ya start sending from your side?

I would not stop en-route until he is not bugging.
    deb