The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better to train at home?

Default Better to train at home?

It is obvious my girlfriend and I need experienced help in training her two labs. Unfortunately, we do not have regular schedules that allow us to train the dogs together. She has looked at some two week training camps, but we don't know how effective that will be with us not involved. We also found some local trainers that could spend a day with us or we could truck out to see them.

Does it make a difference if we have a trainer come to us at our house or if we travel to the trainer?

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Depends on what type of training you are wanting to do.
    Obedience can be done at your home, but for performance training you might need to go to the trainer's place.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Depends on what type of training you are wanting to do.
    Obedience can be done at your home, but for performance training you might need to go to the trainer's place.
    Sorry. Obedience training only at this stage. I only have hope for one of the guys to ever bring a duck back to me; the other one hates water.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Even doing obedience, it is sometimes beneficial to go to some unfamiliar or neutral grounds. Dogs act differently at home and out in public.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Exposure to other places is great, but with your issue you need to start somewhere--and that is at home. If you can get a trainer to come to the house and help you and the girlfriend learn how to handle the dog and issues you are having, that is a great start. You can continue to work on obedience in the home and around the neighborhood until you have the opportunity to go elsewhere.

A class environment is great because your dog has to learn to focus on YOU instead of the other dogs, the other people, the other treats. But you need to do something NOW before the issue with the one dog gets any worse.

Meredith

Would having a pro come over once a week be productive at all, or does one of us need to find the time to have multiple sessions during the week?

I sent you a PM Message sir.

Boot camp, visiting the trainer at his place and home lessons all work if you are committed to doing the work it takes to teach and maintain desirable behaviors.

Boot camp for even 6 weeks only gives you a dog that understands it's basic commands/behaviors. It will still need consistent re-enforcement and an owner who takes every opportunity to incorporate the learned behaviors into day to day life.

Visiting the trainer or taking in home lessons leaves you with more homework because you have to do the above but also teach the behaviors. It's not a huge time investment but it does require some additional patience and investment of time because the dog doesn't know how to respond to the basic commands yet.

I've seen great success and abject failure from clients using all three methods. If the owner doesn't follow through with the instructions they are given, things fall apart very quickly.

Weekly lessons for older dogs seems to be the right pace for most people. You could go faster but most people can't (read don't) invest the time between sessions to accelerate. With little puppies I've been seeing good success going with a bi-weekly schedule. This allows me to be around when pup is 20-22 weeks old without charging the customer for 10-12 lessons.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 02-20-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Darrin Greene

I go 1 time a week to the trainer. He gives me a couple of things to work on during the week and then on the following vist he sees how things are coming along. Now granted, not everything is learned in a week but just be consistent with your training and it WILL happen. 10-15 minutes a day works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    I go 1 time a week to the trainer. He gives me a couple of things to work on during the week and then on the following vist he sees how things are coming along. Now granted, not everything is learned in a week but just be consistent with your training and it WILL happen. 10-15 minutes a day works wonders.
    Did you send your dog to a two week camp before you got involved?