The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better to train at home?

Quote Originally Posted by garball View Post
    It is obvious my girlfriend and I need experienced help in training her two labs. Unfortunately, we do not have regular schedules that allow us to train the dogs together. She has looked at some two week training camps, but we don't know how effective that will be with us not involved. We also found some local trainers that could spend a day with us or we could truck out to see them.

Does it make a difference if we have a trainer come to us at our house or if we travel to the trainer?
    Dont they have a Petco or something were you live? Your looking for some OB training right?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Dont they have a Petco or something were you live? Your looking for some OB training right?
    I believe it has been tried before and the chocolate just couldn't concentrate with other dogs in the class

I believe it has been tried before and the chocolate just couldn't concentrate with other dogs in the class
    Most dogs have trouble concentrating during their first exposure to classes. A lot of dogs don't get out of their own house and yard very often and class is a pretty darn exciting. Most of them calm down after a few sessions.

I'd try to find a decent pet dog class. The trick is to find a fairly good one. Anyone can hold classes. Try googling for an obedience training club in your area. If they don't offer classes, their members can often steer you towards a good instructor or away from the bad ones. Ideally, try to find a class that doesn't have the dogs packed like sardines. I'd strongly suggest the dogs be in different classes.

Books are another great resource for learning basic dog ownership skills. Read three or four of them.

Good luck. And remember that a physically and mentally tired dog is a good dog. If you can get your rear out of bed early enough to take them for a good walk in the morning and set aside time in the evening for another walk, a play session, and a short obedience session, you might be surprised at how many problems magically disappear.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

doesn't matter. all the class does is instruct YOU on how to teach the behavior (and more if it's a good one). your dog not concentrating is almost inconsequential (almost) as long as you take the lessons home and practice them in a non distracting environment
    Darrin Greene

garball, no i did not. I have owned dogs for most of my life ( I'm 50) but this is my first "real " hunting dog. I knew I wanted to train her towards hunting but did not have access to birds or a trainer. One day at my gun club I was talking with a friend of mine who trains with this trainer and asked if he thought the trainer would evaluate my dog (see if she was worth putting the time & effort into). Next thing I know, we are there almost weekly. We started out with obedience, did some water work and then moved to upland training. We have been on a few pheasant hunts which she has done real well. This year I want to work on her water work and get her out on some duck hunts. I got lucky that everthing fell into place. To answer your question, the trainer would work with me and the dog, and then he told me to work with her at home 10-15 minutes a day. I would go back the next weekend, and then onto the next training session. I started this last July. I still go when the weather is good. Hope this answers your question. I tend to babble sometimes.