The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographing Dogs in the field

Glad to see this thread come up, Learning as I go. I have a Canon 40D and a 70-200 IS F2.8 L and love it. Im assuming you guys are working in all manual? or do you have a preference?.

Right now I have been working on Aperture

I shot this one of my dog the other day but it was with my 17-85 at a f5.6, 1/4000, 400, the lighting was tough

HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I haven't shot a lot of dog pictures. I use a 2.8f 70-200mm with a 2X teleconverter if I want to reach out a ways. You will lose a stop or 2 of light with it. I also will use a polarizer to remove glare from the water. You lose 1 or 2 stops of light with it too but it is nice to eliminate the reflection. It only works if your about 90 degrees to the sun. I don't generally use the teleconverter and polarizer at the same time becaue of the loss of light stops.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Tony, Your website states that you are for sale, for about $1300.00.
    I'm not sure if that is a fair asking price, but if it includes your camera gear. I might make an offer.
    I have been reading reviews at the duck hunters refuge photo forum, on the Tamron 150-600.
    Sounds interesting.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Great pics everyone! Photography can definitely be a money eating hobby.

Hi Scott, damn site got hacked but I had two URLs. I think my Focus On The Outdoors is OK. I recently started a blog at tonyczappia.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    Tony, Your website states that you are for sale, for about $1300.00.
    I'm not sure if that is a fair asking price, but if it includes your camera gear. I might make an offer.
    I have been reading reviews at the duck hunters refuge photo forum, on the Tamron 150-600.
    Sounds interesting.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Glad to see this thread come up, Learning as I go. I have a Canon 40D and a 70-200 IS F2.8 L and love it. Im assuming you guys are working in all manual? or do you have a preference?.
    Erik,
    I almost always shoot in Aperture priority, 2nd. would be shutter priority but seldom full manual. And always in Jpeg, Jpeg vs. Raw is a long standing debate you definatly have more options during post processing but I know of 2 very successful wildlife photographers that have never shot in raw.

I shoot RAW. Ninety percent shot Aperture Priority. Initial edits in Breezebrowser.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Erik,
    I almost always shoot in Aperture priority, 2nd. would be shutter priority but seldom full manual. And always in Jpeg, Jpeg vs. Raw is a long standing debate you definatly have more options during post processing but I know of 2 very successful wildlife photographers that have never shot in raw.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Great photo's, keep them coming!

I used to shoot my action stuff almost exclusively in Aperture Priority. Set for the depth of field you want, and take whatever shutter speed you get. With the high ISO capability of the new cameras, I now mostly shoot Manual, with Auto ISO. This lets me pick the depth of field, AND the SS I want, while letting the ISO float within and acceptable range.

I like the versatility of the 70-200 f 2.8. The 300 f/2.8 is also a lens that I use a lot. Makes a really good 500 f/4.8 with a 1.7x teleconverter. I shoot Nikon.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

I hate to even ask this when you guys know so much, so I'm going to sound like an idiot, but - How the heck do you keep the dogs eyes looking correct? Every setting I've messed with they still come back glowing. What suggestions can you make to correct this.

By the way, awesome pictures and advice.
    thanks