The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Photographing Dogs in the field

Quote Originally Posted by Rivertrail View Post
    Wow this thread is incredible. Thanks guys.

So I've been using a Nikon P520 - it has manual mode etc but I've basically been leaving it on f/3.0 and ISO 80. For action shots is appears I need to significantly increase the ISO and then will it automatically adjust the F stop or will I need to change that as well? Maybe that just depends on the camera.

Thanks for all the advice.

The biggest hurdle in getting out of the AUTO mode on your camera is understanding Aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, and understanding how they all come together, there is a ton of info on youtube on this subject, here is just one example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBshTYrFbKI

Another one more in depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYfjIskmXA
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 02-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I'm currently hanging on for the rumored 7D replacement. Did just have the shutter mechanisms replaced in both my 30D's after about 90,000 cycles each. Was really hoping to be able to hold on for the aforementioned 7D, but...............

I bought the 30 for a back up because I know my 50D has ALOT of cycles and it's only a matter of time, my next move will most likely be a 60D there coming way down in price.

One really good thing about the 30D as opposed to the more recent XXD bodies is that it has an all magnesium body like the pro bodies, and the newer bodies are composite like the rebels. The big nature photo contest that takes place in this area will be coming up again in 2015 and I really feel that to stay competitive, I am going to have to step up to something like the "new" 7d with its higher pixel count, faster burst rate, and more sophisticated auto focus (for tracking birds in flight). Am hoping the rumored new 7D will be better at keeping a moving subject in focus.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

We have had lots of discussions about photography on the forum and have covered most of the controls and what they do, but it occured to me that one control we have never mentioned is the dioptric adjustment that most cameras now have. A friend of mine was telling me one time that although his photos looked very sharp, nothing ever looked focused in the viewfinder. I asked him if he had ever adjusted the diopter. He replied "the what?" The dioptric adjustment on Canon cameras is a little knurled wheel at the upper right corner of the viewfinder, often partially hidden by the eyecup. The way to adjust it is to aim the camera at a solid background like the blue sky of a white wall and look at the auto focus points (black squares) in the viewfinder. Turn that little wheel until the squares are absolutely sharp. I believe on Nikon, the adjustment is a little slider somewhere close to the viewfinder, but can't remember if it is to the side or above it.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Here is a picture I shot while hunting had the sun behind me and was taken from a canoe with cannon rebel and 250 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    One really good thing about the 30D as opposed to the more recent XXD bodies is that it has an all magnesium body like the pro bodies, and the newer bodies are composite like the rebels. The big nature photo contest that takes place in this area will be coming up again in 2015 and I really feel that to stay competitive, I am going to have to step up to something like the "new" 7d with its higher pixel count, faster burst rate, and more sophisticated auto focus (for tracking birds in flight). Am hoping the rumored new 7D will be better at keeping a moving subject in focus.
    I try to use my depth of field instead of trying to focus at moving objects. I focus on something in the range then wait until the object is in the range and take the pic. I understand the larger f-stop gives me a larger area so I do have to be a little careful. Should I be using my autofocus?

BTW this is a really good thread.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    I try to use my depth of field instead of trying to focus at moving objects. I focus on something in the range then wait until the object is in the range and take the pic. I understand the larger f-stop gives me a larger area so I do have to be a little careful. Should I be using my autofocus?

BTW this is a really good thread.

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are doing. I think that what you are saying is that you look at the depth of field scale (not even sure that there is one on all lenses these days), pre-focus, and then attempt to catch the subject as it passes into that area of acceptable focus. That will work, but.... If your subject is close enough to be large in the frame (regardless of the length of your lens) it is probably going to pass through that zone of acceptable focus pretty quickly, and the chance of getting the critical part of your subject (generally the eye in animals) in razor sharp focus is somewhat limited. Much better if you can use AI or AI servo autofocus, (which will do a pretty good job of keeping subjects moving toward, or away from you in focus). The trick is to keep your selected focus point ON your subject. Not too hard with a subject moving toward or away, but, much more difficult with a subject moving across the frame. Not sure if this answers your question.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

When a dog is running toward you and you are trying to freeze action, what shutter speed do you need? 1/400? 1/640?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    When a dog is running toward you and you are trying to freeze action, what shutter speed do you need? 1/400? 1/640?
    Depends how much style the dog has J/k I try to keep it above 1/1000 when taking action shots

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Depends how much style the dog has J/k I try to keep it above 1/1000 when taking action shots
    Me too. Sometimes one can get away with a bit slower, but really about 1/1250 and up is more reliable.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)