The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Photographing Dogs in the field

Thanks for all the great shots and tips. Nothing better then seeing them in action.

You guys though getting together and holding a seminar!!

Good stuff. Thanks.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Nice idea, but I'm south of Corpus Christi, Tx, Todd is in MN, and Tony is in New York!! Straight line distance from here to the southern border of MN is a bit over 1100 miles, and to the SW corner of NY is just under 1500. One difficulty I have in trying to do dog photography other than my knucklehead and those of a couple of friends is that I have to travel so far to find events, kennels, or any cluster of dogs that would make it financially feasible. I have said for years that if I could make a living photographing dogs (nice dogs) I would probably be so happy folks wouldn't be able to stand to be around me. I'm just too far away from anything. San Antonio is the nearest substantial population center, and they are around 3 hrs away. I could do that for a good shoot, but Houston or DFW would require a two or three day shoot to make it worthwhile. A workshop would be fun. Love working with animals, people tend to be the real problem.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

This has been a fantastic discussion. Thanks to you all for the info and for sharing your photos.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are doing. I think that what you are saying is that you look at the depth of field scale (not even sure that there is one on all lenses these days), pre-focus, and then attempt to catch the subject as it passes into that area of acceptable focus. That will work, but.... If your subject is close enough to be large in the frame (regardless of the length of your lens) it is probably going to pass through that zone of acceptable focus pretty quickly, and the chance of getting the critical part of your subject (generally the eye in animals) in razor sharp focus is somewhat limited. Much better if you can use AI or AI servo autofocus, (which will do a pretty good job of keeping subjects moving toward, or away from you in focus). The trick is to keep your selected focus point ON your subject. Not too hard with a subject moving toward or away, but, much more difficult with a subject moving across the frame. Not sure if this answers your question.
    I have a decent idea of the depth of field and as you said I focus on a point in the area and wait for the moving subject to be in that area then take the pic. I am using a Nikon D200 so it is not the newest technology but it does have a lot of autofocus settings. I will play with them and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    I have a decent idea of the depth of field and as you said I focus on a point in the area and wait for the moving subject to be in that area then take the pic. I am using a Nikon D200 so it is not the newest technology but it does have a lot of autofocus settings. I will play with them and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Here's two links that may help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dorRVdPuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQt4CU4-Vg

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Thanks for the vids.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

I always enjoy these threads. I dont know my way around a camera that well but know what I like to see. I too enjoy doggies as the subject matter and would like to share a few of my favorite images.

Most of these were shot with a Nikon D-60 with a nikon 70-300 lens. Sorry for all the posts but having problems loading multiple pics in a single post.