The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FT titles

Default FT titles

I didn't want to take away from the QA2 thread.

Can someone explain the FT titles for me? After reading about AA (All age I assume),
    Derbys, open, specials? I've come to realize that I don't know how they all fit together to obtain a FC/AFC.

How do you earn a QAA? Do you have to enter in all the above venues to get your points and wins for the FC/AFC Or is it a progression like hunt tests (if you desire- junior to senior to master)?

How does a JAM fit in? I 'think' it means no points, but I assume it's prestigious since you would be one of only a few that recieved recognition in the field that day.

I know pros dominate the sport, are the percentages of owner/handler/trainers very low? Is it due to time/land/other?

I'm really interested in this. I doubt I'll ever run trials, but the are an extraordinary sport.

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

From the Rule Book

A Limited All-Age Stake at a Retriever trial shall be for dogs that have previously been placed or awarded a Judges’ Award of Merit in an Open All-Age Stake, Limited All-Age Stake, Special All-Age Stake, Restricted All-Age Stake, Amateur All-Age Stake, or Owner-Handler Amateur All-Age Stake carrying Championship points in each case, or that have been placed first or second in a Qualifying Stake or an Owner-Handler Qualifying Stake.

Dogs that have accomplished one of the bolded items are considered to be Qualified All Age. That is, they are qualified to run a Limited All Age Stake

As for what it takes to obtain a FC or an AFC, from the Rule Book:

At present, to acquire an Amateur Field Championship, a Retriever must win:
    (1) a National Championship Stake, handled by an Amateur, or a National Amateur Championship Stake or (2) a total of 10 points in Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age or, Restricted All-Age stakes, or a total of 15 points in Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, Amateur All-Age, Owner-Handler All-Age, or Restricted All-Age Stakes which may be acquired as follows:
    In each Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, Restricted All-Age, Amateur All-Age, or Amateur Handler All-Age Stakes there must be at least 12 starters, each of which is eligible for entry in a Limited All-Age, Special All-Age Stake or Restricted All-Age Stake, and the Handler must be an Amateur (as determined by the Field Trial Committee of the trial-giving club), and the winner of first place shall be credited with 5 points, second place 3 points, third place 1 point, and fourth place 1⁄2 point, but before acquiring a championship, a dog must win a first place and acquire 5 points in at least one Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, Amateur All-Age, Owner-Handler Amateur, or Restricted All-Age Stake open to all breeds of Retriever, and not more than 5 points shall be acquired in trials not open to all breeds of Retriever.

At present, to acquire a Field Championship, a Retriever must win:
    (1) a National Championship Stake or (2) a total of 10 points, which may be acquired as follows: In each Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age, or Restricted All-age Stake, there must be at least 12 starters, each of which is eligible for entry in a Limited All-Age, Special All-Age or, Restricted All-Age Stake, and the winner of first place shall be credited with 5 points, second place 3 points, third place 1 point, and fourth place 1⁄2 point, but before acquiring a championship a dog must win first place and acquire 5 points in at least one Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age or Restricted All-Age Stake, open to all breeds of Retriever, and not more than 5 points of the required 10 shall be acquired in trials not open to all breeds of Retriever.

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

How do you choose which stake you will enter?
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Derbys=2 year olds and under 10 points gets you on the derby list
    quals=a win or second gets you "QAA" or qualified all age. 2 wins or 2 seconds or a win and a second and you have "qual'd out" cant compete there anymore; you can also get QAA with a jam/placement in AA
    AA=all age; amateur, open, limited, etc
    FC=10 points in the open/limited/special including a win
    AFC=15 points in the amateur including a win or getting FC all with amateur handling
    JAM=Judges award of merit; finished the trial (4 series) but did not place, however was not dropped, like stated in another thread a few feet on a hunt separates JAM from placing usually
    no points rollover. a dog off the street theoretically could enter and win and would only be 5/10 points from his FC/AFC

a more experienced trialer could tell you the percentages and what not but from my experience pros do dominate but not the case always. good access to ground will def help an amateur

as to what to enter generally 2 year olds and under are in the derby, dogs that are progressing but not quite ready for the big show go to the qual, after they get QAA they'll work even harder to enter the open/am.

derby=4 series usually doubles, no handling
    qual=2 series of doubles/triples with at least one retired gun, water and land blind
    AA=2 series of double/triple/quad with more than likely 2 or more retired guns, land and water blind

watching videos on youtube may give you a better idea of what to be expected at each stage
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 02-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.

If I'm reading that right, in order to play in AA, you need to get first or second in a qual? Then, you earn points in AA?
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Sue, you asked about Jams... Jams are sort of like an Honorable Mention. The dog did well enough to complete all of the work, but didn't finish in the top four places.

How folks view Jams depends primarily on their own personal experience... And mental makeup at the moment. Some folks have enough green ribbons (Jams) to wallpaper their house. They may not get too excited about one... But a handler who get his/her first one may never forget it.

I have a few jams that stand out in my mind... The first one I ever got in an All Age stake with a young dog. And the last one I got with that same dog as a 12 year old champ running his last trial... Those two were special.

Then there are some Jams I received... Well lets not go there...
    Bill Davis

Derbys are just for youngsters then? Even if you are on the derby list, no points towards your FC?
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    How do you choose which stake you will enter?
    Depends on the achievement level of the dog, e.g. Derby dogs rarely are entered in the Open or Amateur but they can be and there are instances (although rare) of dogs less than 2 winning all-age stakes. Derbies are for dogs less than 2 years old (marks only), Qualifying is an intermediate stake (marks and blinds) between the Open and Amateur which are the pinnacle stakes.

Championship points are only earned in Championship Stakes (Open and Amateur and their various sub-stakes)
    Last edited by EdA; 02-20-2014 at 09:12 AM.

If I'm reading that right, in order to play in AA, you need to get first or second in a qual? Then, you earn points in AA?
    Points are earned only if you place or win in the all age stakes. As said JAM's and RJAM = no points.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Derbys are just for youngsters then? Even if you are on the derby list, no points towards your FC?
    i added an edit to my post...

you dont have to get qaa to enter an AA stake its just a good judge as to whether or not your ready. a dog that is "qualified all age" is a pretty literal meaning. being QAA does however allow you to enter certain "limited" or "special" open/ams. for the general open or am it is not required though

when a dog turns 2 it can no longer enter the derby. and no points towards FC (or AFC) are gained outside AA stakes