The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind help!!!!!!!

Default Blind help!!!!!!!

Well Ive been thrown into a confusing situation.

Got a 3 year old, black lab, spayed female. She has been running tests with me for a year and a half now. Passed them all with flying colors, gone 8/8 to get her SHR, HR and one finished pass. Runs quads out to 150 yards on land and out to about 100 on water, can consistently ran land blinds with her at 250 yards and before my problem was running 150 water blinds. She duck hunts with me and didn't have a singe problem this past season. About 4 weeks ago she absolutely shut down on me as far a water blinds go. She acts excited like always (excited and happy) when I line her for one, but when i send her, she lays down on me and just stares at me. At first I thought it was her just not wanting to go into the cold water. So i waited for a few days of warm up (to allow the shallow pond to warm a little) and tried again. Nothing. So I though maybe she just isn't wanting to do it and is refusing. So I spent a week setting up short easy water blinds, trying to send her, and when she wound refuse, I would put her back in the box. A denial system of some what. Not doing what I say, so your not getting to retrieve. I figured that after a week of that, excitement and drive would take over enough that she would go and see/remember how it all worked. NADA. So I spent a few days and took some steps back in work. Nothing came from that either. Yet this morning I got curious if she was just very confused on blind work in general right now for some reason, but she lined a 75 yard cold blind that she had never ran before. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to help her over this hump? Im out of ideas and our first trial is in 3 weeks and don't feel like driving 4 hours to just run one dog.
    Last edited by rotcsig443; 02-08-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Did you use an Ecollar on her??
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Yes. I run them with collars on during training. But I did not stimulate her when this would happen. Didn't wanna cause any more confusion than was already there if that was the case. Only thing I know thats left to do is start completely over with water force and everything.
    Last edited by rotcsig443; 02-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Can you outline her Basics? What did you do to prepare her for blinds?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

[QUOTE=rotcsig443;1186599]Well Ive been thrown into a confusing situation.

Got a 3 year old, black lab, spayed female. She has been running tests with me for a year and a half now. Passed them all with flying colors, gone 8/8 to get her SHR, HR and one finished pass. Runs quads out to 150 yards on land and out to about 100 on water, can consistently ran land blinds with her at 250 yards and before my problem was running 150 water blinds. She duck hunts with me and didn't have a singe problem this past season. About 4 weeks ago she absolutely shut down on me as far a water blinds go. She acts excited like always (excited and happy) when I line her for one, but when i send her, she lays down on me and just stares at me. At first I thought it was her just not wanting to go into the cold water. So i waited for a few days of warm up (to allow the shallow pond to warm a little) and tried again. Nothing. So I though maybe she just isn't wanting to do it and is refusing. So I spent a week setting up short easy water blinds, trying to send her, and when she wound refuse, I would put her back in the box. A denial system of some what. Not doing what I say, so your not getting to retrieve. I figured that after a week of that, excitement and drive would take over enough that she would go and see/remember how it all worked. NADA. So I spent a few days and took some steps back in work. Nothing came from that either. Yet this morning I got curious if she was just very confused on blind work in general right now for some reason, but she lined a 75 yard cold blind that she had never ran before. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to help her over this hump? Im out of ideas and our first trial is in 3 weeks and don't feel like driving 4 hours to just run one dog.[/QUO
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I suppose you think that info is specific? If that's all that was done this dog is under prepared.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Started out on land with pattern blinds to a pile that was build during hand signal training. Once she had an idea down, I transitioned her over to a 7 bumper land T drill. Once she was solid on that I transitioned to running short (25-30 yard) cold blinds. Once she was confident on that I spent about 2-3 weeks putting a little length into it and stretching her out. Once I had her confident in running a 100 yard land blind and she was good at it, I decided it was time to start on water blinds. At first I was just curious and sent her on a cold blind into the water first thing and she nailed it. No problems. But to make sure all aspects were covered I didn't just stick with that. I put her through water force, which she was confused about a little at first but seemed to get the idea after a little while. Once through that, and since I do not have access to a swim by pond or anything similar to one (just big rounds cattle ponds), I transitioned over to a water T which she did just fine with. No problems really at all. Once she was running a great water T, I worked on lengthening out her water blinds. Once she was out to about 100 yards I was happy with it and moved on to other stuff. All that training took place 2 summers ago now, and she has for the most part been very solid on everything until now. She has never been reluctant to retrieve a mark or run a blind, no matter how long or short or good or bad of weather until now. Its like she just decided she isn't gonna pick anything but marks up when water comes into play. I am going to get several birds out for tomorrow training and let her walk with me around the pond to put them out so she knows there are real birds somewhere. Hoping that will get her excited enough to trust me again on these water blinds. Hoping to get one good short blind (35-40 yards) out of her and really praise her if she does what I ask and be done for the day and slowly build from there in the following days. But if that doesn't work then go back to step one and completely restart with her. If anyone has a better idea, or has gone though this let me know what you did to fix it because Im completely confused.

"She duck hunts with me and didn't have a singe problem this past season. About 4 weeks ago she absolutely shut down on me as far a water blinds go."

Two questions 1) did you have any late season hunts where she retrieved quite a few ducks? and 2) have you actually measured the present water temperatures?
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

How cold is the water? I haven't done any water work training since 12/3/13 because the water has been to cold. Get a cheap Walmart thermometer, put a cord on it, toss into water, wait a minute or two and check. If it is below 55 degrees wait until warmer. If you have a vest you can cheat 55 a bit.
    I'm talking a nominal 55. If it's 54 then ok.
    Hunting in cold water is much different than training. We hunted in some awfully cold weather but don't train in it.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Our season was actually VERY VERY slow this year. Think her best hunt of the year was 10 retrieves in running water timber. I can only think of maybe 15 retrieves total all year that she had to swim after. Most of the stuff we hunt is knee deep or shallower and Lily is a pretty tall dog. And didn't even hunt her when it was super cold (being in vet school has made me real cautious of cold water temps). With the low birds numbers, I didn't take dogs on days it was iced up in the timber. I have not taken the temp of the water. However it can't bother her to much. I let the dogs out to air each morning before class and she was playing in the water yesterday morning.
    Last edited by rotcsig443; 02-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.