The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Derby

Default First Derby

Where would you want a young dog to be in training prior to entering a first derby?
    Jeff

Very steady. Comfortably doing multiple marks including complex cheating marks as memory birds. Any dog at this level probably handles well on land and water.

Thanks Charles. Being prepared for complex cheating marks on the memory bird tells me where we need to be. I have been looking for local events that my dog may be ready for this coming year. It looks like FT events in my area wrap-up in August, about the time my dog turns 1yr. Do dogs this young run derby?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GRun View Post
    Where would you want a young dog to be in training prior to entering a first derby?
    Jeff, I think most would answer that they would not run the dog until they thought it was ready to win.

Quote Originally Posted by GRun View Post
    I have been looking for local events that my dog may be ready for this coming year. It looks like FT events in my area wrap-up in August, about the time my dog turns 1yr. Do dogs this young run derby?
    Log in to Entry Express and do a Field Trial search covering the past 3-4 years. Look at the events that were held in NY, OH, PA, VT, CT, ME, NJ & DE. All within reach of NY. Clicking on Results for a trial and skimming to the Derby start clicking on the dogs and then their Event History. Compare the date of various dogs first derby to their birthday. You'll find that the majority ran did not run their first derby prior to age 1. A very promissing well trained dog may start earlier but not many. Anyway skim through a bunch of data on EE.
    As far as Derbies in your area the Fall events don't wrap up in Aug but are actually run Aug thru Oct in N East down to DE/MD. You also can slip over the border to run Derby (junior) in Ontario during the summer months when no events are taking place in the US. Late Jun thru early Aug. They have no Flyers in Canada and may be easier for you and dog to get your feet wet up there.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Dr. Ed, That's definitely not me. But I'm going to try it anyway. I suspect I will get to come home early. Lol
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Dr. Ed and Breck, Thank you for the advice. I will use our local Spring/Summer events to learn more about what it will take to win a derby. I had only checked EE for FTs in adjoining States. It's good to know there will be more opportunities later in the season that aren't too far away.

Wayne, Rowdy looks ready. Good Luck. I have always enjoyed your videos.
    Jeff

While you're digging around EE find the Field Trials and Hunt Tests that were held near you in Little Falls and Gansevoort. The Premium for those events will provide info on who's who. From there find those who run trials and do what it takes to hookup and train with them on the training grounds in those locals.
    cheers
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I have attached some sample pics that i encountered last fall while running my first dog for the first time in 4 derbies. just to get an idea and keep in mind all judges are different.

image-4_zps1b8904f0.jpgimage-5_zps53897e61.jpgimage-6_zps1d86332a.jpgimage-7_zpsc84eb11b.jpgSeries 1edited.jpgSeries 2b edited.jpgSeries 3b edited.jpg

EDIT: while distance is marked on most of these. that is usually the smallest factor that comes into play. i marked these up a long time ago for a non-competer to see. in fact now that i think about it. of the 4 trials we did last year 1 we jammed and the other 3 we got put out on the go-bird. one was 3rd series after a long hunt (60 yards), one was return to flyer in 1st series, the other was a long shot flyer in first series (90 yards) after a very impressive 4.5 minute hunt not being able to come up with it.

all about FACTORS, FACTORS, FACTORS!
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 02-19-2014 at 06:24 PM.

That water looks tough. I don't have anything like that.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"