The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a dog with attitude?

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Default Anyone else have a dog with attitude?

My old girl (13 yo YLF) was only ever used as a meat dog, and being the genius I was at 17, I trained her all myself with a homegrown program and some guidance from an experienced amateur. She's never been very stylish, but she sure got the job done. Every time a bird fell, it showed up back at my side. She stared at the sky with anticipation and often saw the birds before I did. I shoot, it falls, bird comes back, lather, rinse, repeat. Heaven help me if I missed. I would get these looks from her like she was embarrassed to be in the blind with me. If we were hunting on land, she would take off and hide in the cover behind me and refuse to return until the next bird went down. All was forgiven at that point. Does anyone else get chastised by their dawgs?

Not looking for training tips, just funny stories.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Ummm, yeah...(see avatar to the left)
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

My old black female lab who is no longer around loved to hunt. She didn't care what it was. She was the type of dog I wouldn't have to worry about starving because she could take care of herself. While out hunting upland she would catch mice, gophers, rabbits...and skunks. She wouldn't catch the skunks, but she would find them. Got sprayed point blank in the face at least twice and she would come running back to me sneezing and coughing. I was so irritated at the time I could have killed her myself. Nothing worse than having your dog run to you and wipe her face on your pant leg so you both carry the stench. One time we had a group pheasant hunt and stopped in to a local diner for lunch. Couple locals walked in and immediately walked over and asked, "how is the skunk hunting going?" I'm surprised the owners didn't ask us to leave. Embarrassing then, funny now!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

It is amazing how the things that drove us crazy at the time are so funny upon further review.

Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

My Chocolate will watch the ducks come in and if we missed, he would seriously look at me with this disquested look on his face and doze off until the calling started again.
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    My Chocolate will watch the ducks come in and if we missed, he would seriously look at me with this disquested look on his face and doze off until the calling started again.
    Good. So I'm not the only one.

Andrew's Baby Saint

If I don't get told off by my girl at least twice a day, she must be sick. She's come-up with a fix for me missing birds, she just steals somebody else's. I do get to carry them for her, then she gets mad when I give them back to their rightful owner. The looks that dog can give will curl your hair.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Twin Willows - yes my Tiger McBunn X Cundari QAA bitch === Chippewa's McBuffy attitude on all levels - competition/yard/retrieving/ hunting - I can't blame her choc color/sex and don't want appear to be misogynist but she was born in Wisconsin. That did make her a cheesehead ! (11 and half - deceased)

My Ol' Maverick dog used to fall asleep on the stand if it was slow or shooting was poor, and that happened more times than I'd like to admit.
    One time, on a dove hunt out in West Texas, my partner was hammering birds and I was, well, not. Maverick left my side and went and sat by my partner.
    Neither was my partner for the rest of the hunt...A$$Holes...hahahaha
    Last edited by Trent Goree; 02-20-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Trent

HR Goree's Flight School Drop Out SH "Maverick" 11/20/04---2/6/14
    Roux's Classy Lil' Bayou Princess "Sadee"
    Lean Grade of Dignified Troubles "Gracee"

I knew and hunted a lot with a male chessie who, if no ducks fell, would stare intently at the ducks as they flew off. He would then grab one of the freshly shucked shotshells and "roo" at us with the spent shotshell in his mouth. Sometimes it would make a whistling sound. He was a great dog who retrieved a bunch of ducks, and he is missed. RIP "Bo".