The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Most Frustrating Part...

I do Field Trials, not Hunt Tests. I know the work that's involved to put on a trial and I'm sure it's the same for a hunt test. We always hope our trial is big enough to break even but not so big as to be even more difficult.
    I always wondered about the logistics of adding another MH test. Judges, people and grounds. I know we can barely get enough help for our event and can't imagine needing 2 more judges and more workers. I don't know how the clubs do it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

In the old days, basically before the 5 of 7 rule was dropped and the MNHX title was added, clubs generally knew what they were going to get and they went ahead and got the judges for the splits. Then these changes were made, along with two MNs in a row that were very accessible to the east coast population and all of a sudden clubs were slammed with totally unexpected huge numbers of entries and splits that were way more than anyone had ever seen. Trying to get judges at the last minute is tough, but trying to get grounds is next to impossible, although there are some places that can handle it.

Around these parts, the early HTs are filling up quickly, although some are not, largely because the early ones always do as folks are itching to get out and the snowbirds in the area are still here. It is settling down as there are several open HTs on EE now. Plus with the MN in CA, there is less interest. However, with the next MN in Cheraw and the one after that likely back at the Cattle Ranch, there is going to be a ton of folks wanting to run. Couple that with the difficulty of unanticipated splits and clubs will definitely limit, making things fill up pretty quickly from August on.

Darrin has mentioned several times increasing capacity, which is certainly a possibility in the long term, when everything is variable. Unfortunately, in the short term the available land for a club is fixed. When you have excess demand and fixed capacity, the usual answer is to increase your prices until the demand at those prices meet your capacity. However, that seems to violate the unwritten "fairness" rule everyone seems to be throwing out--where folks should be able to enter any test they want at any time they want and pay no more than $60 bucks. I am sure this will soon be extended to everyone getting a pass since it is not fair that some folks have better dogs than others

And why did they drop the 5 of 7 rule. That was the answer to most of the problems. You get 7 chances to get your 5 passes. If you don't make it, your done for that year. I would love to see the statistics for past 4-5 MN for how many times each dog that qualified ran before it got its 6 passes. To make it fair, how many times did the dog have to run to get 5 passes. It would be interesting to see how many dogs would have qualified that way vs how many did qualify. As long as you can keep running until you get those 6 passes, people with the time and money will do so. Of course the reason behind dropping the 5 of 7 rule was money. AKC can make a lot more money with the 6 passes rule and they run MN. They just don't seem to see what damage is being done to the clubs and the average person wanting to play this sport.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

The solution as I see it is VERY simple. Standardiza ALL openings for tests on ee to 21 days before the test at 12 pm. This makes it FAIR for everyone knowing when the test will be open for entry. It will not prevent the pros from sitting on go with 30 dogs to enter but at least no one can bitch about not knowing when it will open.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I am very new to this game, but was thinking why don't they set up a draw system like they do for big game tags.
    On a limited entry event everyone who wants in applies. Your number or numbers with multiple entrys is drawn you go. If your not drawn you get a bonus point, and your name goes in twice improving your odds for next time. A computer could do this quick and efficiently and honestly. I personally would never get in but thats how lucky I am.
    Just my simple mind thinking.

Lee
    With a dog...You never hunt alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spry View Post
    I am very new to this game, but was thinking why don't they set up a draw system like they do for big game tags.
    On a limited entry event everyone who wants in applies. Your number or numbers with multiple entrys is drawn you go. If your not drawn you get a bonus point, and your name goes in twice improving your odds for next time. A computer could do this quick and efficiently and honestly. I personally would never get in but thats how lucky I am.
    Just my simple mind thinking.

Lee

Lee, unlike big game hunting, a number of people put on a HT. Under a draw system, the people who put on the HT are not guaranteed a spot at the event they are working. Also, a single hunter cannot sign up for 5 tags.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Why hasn't someone just proposed two flights at one test - one for dogs who are already titled MH (and are concieveably looking for passes to get to the Master National) and one for dogs who aren't??!! Many of these tests are breaking up into two and three flights already, why not simply allow people to register their dog in one or the other, based on their intent at the test?
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Does anybody believe that if those clubs sponsoring the MN were required to have unlimited entries and other clubs could do as they pleased, that there would be a problem? Oh those clubs sponsoring the MN might howl but then all would know that the problem lay with the rules governing qualifying for the MN.

PennyRetrievers
    That would require having 2 flights for MH. For clubs having to limit their tests to 60 dogs, that would mean 30 spots for dogs that have not yet received thier MH and 30 spots for those with an MH, as these clubs don't have grounds or workers to support 2 flights. I personally would have no problem with that. Much like tracking where openings are very limited, preference should be given first to dogs trying to get their MH titles and then to dogs that already have the title.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Does anybody believe that if those clubs sponsoring the MN were required to have unlimited entries and other clubs could do as they pleased, that there would be a problem? Oh those clubs sponsoring the MN might howl but then all would know that the problem lay with the rules governing qualifying for the MN.
    More importantly if MN clubs that are closing early due to large entries are not meeting the needs of their own club members by having a significant number of club member dogs not getting in, those members should insist the club drop MN. Drop your MN membership and you will not have an entry problem for your own members.
    Being a MN club offers one benefit to a club, larger HT entries. If large entries are a problem for the general membership then there is no benefit.
    I also think that if the MN changed the qualifications to one that once a dog qualifies for the MN it remains qualified for life as HRC does with the Grand it would greatly relieve the burden on weekend test. My guess is very few dogs that qualified for the MN this year will not qualify next. This would remove about 700 dogs from having to qualify. There would still be new qualifiers each year and of course qualified dogs would still be running HT, but those qualified would not HAVE to enter every test within a days drive and they would not have to limit themselves to only MN clubs test. Doing this would only slightly increase numbers running the MN because again most dogs do not fail to requalify each year.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke