The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: EPA & Wood Stoves

Default EPA & Wood Stoves

The Environmental Protection Agency recently imposed restrictions on wood-burning stoves that will deal a blow to rural Americans who rely on wood to heat their homes.

Critics charge that the rule changes were enacted following pressure from environmental groups.

The EPA tightened restrictions in January on the level of fine airborne particulate emissions that wood-burning stoves can emit, from 15 micrograms per cubic meter to a maximum of 12 micrograms.

The EPA restrictions would ban the production and sale of the kinds of wood-burning stoves that compose 80 percent of those currently in use in the United States, Forbes reported.
    Hey, wood is a renewable biofuel ...
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Yes, Gerry, this all started back in the 1980's or even earlier. http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html

There is a link on the page to submit comments on these draft proposed standards. You will also be able to comment on the rules when they are published in the federal register just like all rules that agencies develop based on laws passed by Congress and signed by the President.

[QUOTE=Henry V;1191450]Yes, Gerry, this all started back in the 1980's or even earlier. http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html

There is a link on the page to submit comments on these draft proposed standards. You will also be able to comment on the rules when they are published in the federal register just like all rules that agencies develop based on laws passed by Congress and signed by the President.[/QUOTE

The more the gov't messes the worse it gets.
    Our current woodstove sucks compared to the one we had to replace because we could not get a new blower. It is just going to suck even more. The one that was in the house when we bought it cranked out a ton more heat and we searched to get what we had. All we got was that the new offers were more efficent but they did not crank out the same heat. SO they do not do the job end of story and this is before the new crappy regs
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I have an outdoor wood boiler (OWB). There are no current stoves that meet the EPA's proposed legislation. One company is close, but many will probably go out of business, as the investment to design a new product will not be feasible. The price of a compliant stove is expected to almost double.

My stove smokes when you load it up. It really smokes when I throw a couple big lumps of coal in it. But it is usually for the first burn cycle, then once it gets the wood/coal "coaled up" and hot it smokes very little.

If I lived in a subdivision, a town or area prone to air inversions (or what ever they call them) I would probably not choose to burn an OWB. But leave it up to the localities to determine what they will allow. Sweeping Federal regulation's "one size fits all" is really hurting the rural folks. It's hard to comprehend the US Government telling it's citizens they can't burn wood to stay warm!

FWIW.... prior to the OWB we ran two electric heat pumps. Our monthly winter bills ranged from $550-800, while keeping the house at a chilly 68. Now they are around $175, and the house stays between 73-75, plus I have unlimited hot water. They can have my wood stove when they pry my toasty dead hands from it!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    I have an outdoor wood boiler (OWB). There are no current stoves that meet the EPA's proposed legislation. One company is close, but many will probably go out of business, as the investment to design a new product will not be feasible. The price of a compliant stove is expected to almost double.

My stove smokes when you load it up. It really smokes when I throw a couple big lumps of coal in it. But it is usually for the first burn cycle, then once it gets the wood/coal "coaled up" and hot it smokes very little.

If I lived in a subdivision, a town or area prone to air inversions (or what ever they call them) I would probably not choose to burn an OWB. But leave it up to the localities to determine what they will allow. Sweeping Federal regulation's "one size fits all" is really hurting the rural folks. It's hard to comprehend the US Government telling it's citizens they can't burn wood to stay warm!

FWIW.... prior to the OWB we ran two electric heat pumps. Our monthly winter bills ranged from $550-800, while keeping the house at a chilly 68. Now they are around $175, and the house stays between 73-75, plus I have unlimited hot water. They can have my wood stove when they pry my toasty dead hands from it!
    OUr old bad woodstove kept our main level at 75 while being in the lower level. I can't get this high priced pile of crap to keep the upper level at 68 running full out. We knew and ranted when we bought it that it would suck and we were right although we were told it was better.GOd help anyone stuck with the lastest pile of crap I want an old one!!!! Darn the blower blew and we could not get a new one.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI