The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Option best for training FT other than live birds

Default Option best for training FT other than live birds

If a person wants to train for field trials, are the Doken's and ATB's sufficient? Can you achieve what you need to using a mix to try and keep expenses down. Also would it be ok for Hunt Tests also? thanks Neil

Sure. Birds are great, if you have them, but many of us train with bumpers most of the time--especially once your dog gets used to birds. I would get some big white and black ones and perhaps a boat bumper or two for FT distances, so the dogs can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by windwalkers swan song View Post
    If a person wants to train for field trials, are the Doken's and ATB's sufficient? Can you achieve what you need to using a mix to try and keep expenses down. Also would it be ok for Hunt Tests also? thanks Neil

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to title a dog, I think not. If you want to do well at Nationals (where you will live or die on the quality of your hen pheasant hunts), I think absolutely not.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to title a dog, I think not. If you want to do well at Nationals (where you will live or die on the quality of your hen pheasant hunts), I think absolutely not.

^^^^^^ What he said....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

As many know. "It takes birds to make a bird dog". That said most people use bumpers also. If you are trying to keep cost down you can get 4 or 5 bumpers for the price of a dokken or Avery. Use birds whenever you can and get in shot fliers. If you take care of the birds they can last a long time. Hang the dead birds to dry in a cool place where the flies cannot get them, then tuck the head under a wing and put in a paper bag in the freezer. the paper will finish drying the birds in the freezer. If you do this you can shot a flier for the dog (1st use of bird) throw the bird for a couple of marks, Freeze thaw (does not have to be completely) throw marks and do a blind, Repeat till it makes you gag then use it one more time being sure to trim protruding bones as necessary.

How often to use birds depends on the dog.

You will get extremely nasty birds from time to time at tests and trials.

Ps I use frozen birds, bumpers and dokkens to train.

Quote Originally Posted by windwalkers swan song View Post
    Quit now or don't start because keeping expenses down will never happen with HT or FT training.
    Just Win

From my very limited hunt testing training experience one of the biggest things I learned was in order to keep a dogs attitude up you absolutely need lots birds. As many as You can manage to get your hands on. Especially when running blinds.

I think using birds does more for the dogs attitude than anything else.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Hard to beat birds. As person who typically trains alone, with predominately bumper boys. Holes will show up in your training. Not being routinely, exposed to the effects of drag back have created problems for my dogs. Even if you are using birds it is tough to mimic, the effect of thirty+ dogs dragging birds through cover. Finding a good amateur group or training once a week with a pro helps. Most pro's don't use birds exclusively. Also, they do need to be exposed to hen pheasants.

in an effort to keep costs from getting stupid, we have used banty roosters that have been easier to come by in Idaho, and they are a decent alternative BUT sooner or later when the trial gets closer we buy a crate of hen pheasants, and they are used judiciously and not wasted on elementary set ups
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bird expense is way down on the list of expenses, use them as often as you can