The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hillmann Seminar or Gunners Up Launchers

I will try to explain why I would buy the winger and or the videos instead of going to the seminar. Information is a powerful thing. It appears that the OP has a new puppy. I am looking at the flyer for Hillman's May 24-25 seminar. The topics include:
    Teaching the “Fetch” command (a/k/a “force breaking”)
    Bill’s famous “Traffic Cop” method of teaching the SIT command and reinforcing the SIT command with the electric collar and other stimuli and distractions.
    Understanding how to create an electronic signal between you and your dog using the “soft collar” method.
    Fundamentals on land and in the water: casting, pile work, single T, Powercast, water T, swim by, cheating marks, lining and casting drills
    Next steps up from foundation work.

My questions would be "what can I take from that seminar and use tomorrow?" How much of the swimby stuff will I remember when the time comes to teach that? Much of the stuff is several months away from being useful to the OP. I understand that a using a winger is still a few months away,but nothing will be forgotten. Videos can we watched over and over and the winger will always be useful.

DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    I will try to explain why I would buy the winger and or the videos instead of going to the seminar. Information is a powerful thing. It appears that the OP has a new puppy. I am looking at the flyer for Hillman's May 24-25 seminar. The topics include:
    Teaching the “Fetch” command (a/k/a “force breaking”)
    Bill’s famous “Traffic Cop” method of teaching the SIT command and reinforcing the SIT command with the electric collar and other stimuli and distractions.
    Understanding how to create an electronic signal between you and your dog using the “soft collar” method.
    Fundamentals on land and in the water: casting, pile work, single T, Powercast, water T, swim by, cheating marks, lining and casting drills
    Next steps up from foundation work.

My questions would be "what can I take from that seminar and use tomorrow?" How much of the swimby stuff will I remember when the time comes to teach that? Much of the stuff is several months away from being useful to the OP. I understand that a using a winger is still a few months away,but nothing will be forgotten. Videos can we watched over and over and the winger will always be useful.

+1 Exactly
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Having been to a couple Hillmann seminars I highly recommend you attend the seminar. When you sign up you will fill out a sheet and it asks what you would like to cover. Before the seminar Sherie will figure out what people want and go from there. This will also give you valuable time to ask Bill any questions you may have. You will also hear more experienced people ask questions and get a lot from that as well.

I do not know where you are in the puppy DVD but I guarantee you will get something from the seminar, especially being new. Topics from the puppy DVD are always covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Herderhurst View Post
    Having been to a couple Hillmann seminars I highly recommend you attend the seminar. When you sign up you will fill out a sheet and it asks what you would like to cover. Before the seminar Sherie will figure out what people want and go from there. This will also give you valuable time to ask Bill any questions you may have. You will also hear more experienced people ask questions and get a lot from that as well.

I do not know where you are in the puppy DVD but I guarantee you will get something from the seminar, especially being new. Topics from the puppy DVD are always covered.
    That sounds good. I've just joined Big D HRC and going yo probably join a couple of others in town to try and find a group with the same aged dogs. My puppy is only 15 weeks and I've had to skip some of the water stuff due to the low temps. Not really sure what to ask or what I want to cover because I am so green. Just following the DVD and my little girl is doing well. I'm currently looking for some live pigeons and dead ducks for her at this time. She is holding really good right now when I walk out and throw the bumper but seems to think it's a free throw when I'm next to her. FF is something I'd like to cover but have no clue when that step will come and at what age. I did get the chance to introduce her to gun fire today and see seemed more interested in what it was then being scared so that seems to be a good thing. Need to pick up a little starting pistol and some blanks next.

Thank you all for the advise! Keep it coming because I'm trying to learn as much as her at this time.

Thanks,

Milam
    Last edited by Rob Milam; 02-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Seminar or wingers?.......kinds of reminds me of the question "Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?

I've been to several seminars and found every single one inspiring. However, there is no getting over the fact that after watching....doing is often a stretch. Another important factor to consider is a new trainer rarely has any foundation upon which to follow up with what was observed. In reality, a "greenhorn" will tend to be overwhelmed after inspiration subsides.

I would suggest a more useful approach would be paying a teaching/trainer for private lessons. Several individual lessons would tend to focus more on your specific needs and generate a better start. Join a club and get your "feet wet" by watching others train. You will quickly see what is doable while at the same probably see a bit of "what not to do". Skill levels acquired while training are mostly attained by "doing" and adjusting. The best thing about this approach is it won't be all that expensive.

You will soon find out the cost of this seminar and/or a few wingers will be only the "tip of the iceberg". I guess what I am saying is "going to a seminar or buying wingers" is much like my original "question".
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    Seminar or wingers?.......kinds of reminds me of the question "Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?

I've been to several seminars and found every single one inspiring. However, there is no getting over the fact that after watching....doing is often a stretch. Another important factor to consider is a new trainer rarely has any foundation upon which to follow up with what was observed. In reality, a "greenhorn" will tend to be overwhelmed after inspiration subsides.

I would suggest a more useful approach would be paying a teaching/trainer for private lessons. Several individual lessons would tend to focus more on your specific needs and generate a better start. Join a club and get your "feet wet" by watching others train. You will quickly see what is doable while at the same probably see a bit of "what not to do". Skill levels acquired while training are mostly attained by "doing" and adjusting. The best thing about this approach is it won't be all that expensive.

You will soon find out the cost of this seminar and/or a few wingers will be only the "tip of the iceberg". I guess what I am saying is "going to a seminar or buying wingers" is much like my original "question".
    Jim,

I don't do either (walk to work or carry my lunch). As stated above I just joined a club and going to join at least one other. This question may seem silly to some but I don't have a clue. I've been tournament fishing for the last 10 years and see new guys getting into the sport ask stupid questions. Sorry if I'm one of those guys right now but I WILL LEARN! Hopefully I'll have the success in this sport as I do fishing. It won't be from the lack of trying, I don't quit!

Well, Milam I've been "around the block" quite a bit myself. I'd have to suggest the point of my post was to say that your original question was not as simple as one might expect. You asked for perspective. There is no easy answer.

Most members on RFT would think that Hillman's seminar would be the way to go, What I was suggesting was that from their perspective they probably would get a lot of his seminar. I'm just not so sure that "going in cold" without much dog training experience would be the logical decision.

Given that I now know you have a great deal of "fishing competition" skills, you're probably very good at adjusting to new situations quickly. However, money is not always the deciding factor on what is best for a pup. Good luck with your choice.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

That make more since to me Jim.

Thank you all for the information and look forward to the journey.