The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacramento Valley RC

Default Sacramento Valley RC

The Open started with an inline triple with two retired. The first bird down is the center bird thrown left to right. The second bird down is quite short on the right thrown left to right. The go bird flyer is significantly longer than the other two shot left to right but sharply angled back. There is a winding slough of water running through the test and moderate cover with stands of tules. In limited viewing, the dogs seem to be either doing the test cleanly or significantly overrunning the middle bird and either returning to the flyer station or disappearing in the tules and having to be helped to that bird.
    Judy

CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach

Thank you for the update. Any clues about what is happening at the Q?

I saw one dog run the Q but it was from the side, so not the best angle to really see the test. I heard that it has been tough. What I saw looked like a standard triple with the long bird retired. First down was the long retired bird thrown right to left. Next down was an up gun on the right thrown left to right. I'm not sure which direction the flyer was shot because I couldn't see it. The cover was very high and there were lots of changes of cover. After the triple, there was an honor. The one dog I saw head swung off the right gun to the flyer and never really saw it. That dog took the long gun second and then headed back to the long gun when sent for the short one. They should be done with the first series now. If I can get the callbacks, I'll post them.

The Amateur is a triple with two retired with a small pond up front on the way to all marks. It is shot around the horn with the shorter retired on the right thrown right to left. Second is the long retired in the middle thrown right to left. The go bird flyer is on the left shot right to left. The middle bird is tighter to the flyer than to the right mark. There is a lot of cover into which the dogs can disappear on the way to the marks. Most dogs are getting the birds, but the pond up front seems to be affecting the lines to the birds. Some dogs are squaring and ending up behind the holding blinds and hunting wrong side or behind the marks. I heard that at least one returned to the flyer when sent up the middle.

As a caveat, I scratched my all-age dog due to a temporary medical problem, so I have not seen any of the tests from the line. I apologize in advance for any errors in reporting.

Judy! Hope all is OK with Trek! Thanks for hanging in with reports in spite of the health issues.
    I heard form Jane that Lance nailed the first series, but nothing since then. Love to hear more!!
    Let us know how Trek is doing.
    Lee J Herskowitz
    Semper Retrievers
    Portland, OR
    www.semperretrievers.com

The Qual is running its 3rd and 4th series combined. The unofficial callbacks to this series are (15 dogs):

I think Judy meant 2nd ad 3rd series combined (land and water blind). THere were "about" 7 dogs called back to the 4th series that is being run tonight. I can only identify 2 of the dogs called back as numbers 5 and 8.
    Lee J Herskowitz
    Semper Retrievers
    Portland, OR
    www.semperretrievers.com

Yes. Just found out that was the 2nd and 3rd series. The marshal told me 3rd and 4th and I had no reason to doubt her. I understand they do plan to finish the Qual tonight.

Another clarification ... the middle mark in the Open that dogs are overrunning is thrown from a small tree to the edge of a channel of water. The dogs are getting in the water and swimming past the mark. When they come out, they are deep and the flyer is very visible.