The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Picking up where we left off?

Default Picking up where we left off?

I have a four year old female lab that I started training as a puppy and then stopped when life got in the way (husband had two surgeries and daughter had a baby). She has two junior legs and is a good hunting dog but nowhere close to finished and I would like to start up her training again. Do I pick up where we left off or back up a bit? I will be using Smartworks since I already own the series and find it pretty easy to follow.

Start with refreshers and see what has been retained. Go for it and have fun. The time is right.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by huntingchef View Post
    I have a four year old female lab that I started training as a puppy and then stopped when life got in the way (husband had two surgeries and daughter had a baby). She has two junior legs and is a good hunting dog but nowhere close to finished and I would like to start up her training again. Do I pick up where we left off or back up a bit? I will be using Smartworks since I already own the series and find it pretty easy to follow.
    She doesn't have a clue on the ribbons she won...She does though know you. I don't think she will have a problem with you training her further. Just be fair and watch the signs....Be careful of the e-collar and seek help if needed....Four years is a lot of trust you have in between....

if it's been more than 6 mos I'd start from formal obedience and walk through the process again. sounds like life has been chaotic for you (and her). sorry to hear that. My guess is she's just not accustomed to the structure of real training. so... she's 4... what's the hurry? start at the beginning and move through the steps, quickly if she understands them... figure out where you are with her that way, and dig in when you find that point. She may remember FF, she may not. Depends on the dog and the training. Spending a couple of months touching all the high points of her previous training wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.
    Darrin Greene

Thanks all. I think I will go all the way back to reviewing formal obedience because I think there are a few holes in that area. Then we can just clean things up as we go. She loves to train so I am hoping she will fall right back into the routine.

Pay attention to what others are saying. The thing I think you will be really surprised with is just how much she remembers! Review, refresh and most of all have fun!

We went to a club training day and ran the junior marks today. I was pleasantly surprised at her manners in the holding blind and she was just a bit bouncy on the line. We may be farther along than I think but I am still going to touch on all the steps.