The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Hunt Tests

Default Canadian Hunt Tests

Another thread gives impetus for this thread

The AKC ht has some growth issues and this limited entry business is just plain sad.
    Our neighbors to the North with the CKC ht have no such problem. Rare is the CKC that has more than 25 entries. We have been to every National and there has never been more than 42 entries.
    The tests if you can close your eyes and visualize are nearly identical for the land and water tests. That sit to flush in the National with a live bird Rooster generally is as tough as it gets.

Marty and i judge Canadian Ht, our dogs are CKC registered and have earned Mh, GMHR and NMH titles so we have experience. Consider qualifying and going to Saskatoon this year. We will be there. Saskatoon RC is a great club, wonderful grounds and just a great venue.
    Dk

Shhhh! I might see you there. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Dave, I seen a bit of your dogs running in Saskatoon last summer...they were GREAT! I was busy running in SH and went to watch the MH tests when we finished to get an idea of what to work towards for this year. We will try a few MH tests this year to see where we stand, but I am not sure if I have the time for the 3 day drive to get to Saskatoon again this year. It may have been a 3 day drive for me to get there, but the people, grounds and tests were well worth it.

If you are interested in heading north ..... Upcoming CKC HT (and FT) premiums can be found here - www.nrcc-canada.com
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Thanks Dave I take it you saw my other post and I'm sure that most clubs here would welcome your approval.
    If it helps keep our clubs alive and strong up here it is welcomed indeed as I know there have been declining entries causing some clubs to wonder if it was worthwhile putting on a hunt test.

Dave Beacock

The CKC HT is fun with some really good dogs. I break out in a cold sweat and tremble every time that live bird sit to flush takes place. My friends in the states need to see 500 decoys in a test or that 40 mph crosswind water blind in Saskatoon
    and that 15 pound snow goose tossed out of ditch then run in tidal water on either coast, then add swim out in that ocean called the St Lawrence.

Plus you guys have really good beer and play great hockey

Looking forward to summer
    Dk

If you do not have a CKC SH title, you will need 6 Master passes for a title. Most clubs up here run a double Master .... One on Saturday and one on Sunday. So if you and your dog are right "on the money" you could title in three weekends and qualify to run the CKC National Master Hunt Test!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Adding to post # 7.
    To qualify as a non CKC dog for the National Master there are 3 ways:
    1)Get your CKC title in the qualifying
    year
    2) be an AKC master hunter and get 2 CKC master quals in the qualifying year
    3 ) having a qualifying score at the Akc master national the previous
    Year

Finally CKC dogs that qualify the previous year can attend the akc test.
    Example : qualifiers in Quebec for 2013 can attend the 2014 akv master national
    Dk

Thanks for the support, Dave. And you sure have it right about the fun.

We sometimes get 30 or so MH entries when the National will be in the area, but more often 20 something. And the tests get done in a day. Its great to be able to run your dogs twice in a weekend, keep the day moving along and the judges are not put in any tough positions trying to get through the large entries you get in the US.

If you are concerned about the sit to the flush, it just needs training and you could probably arrange to do a couple of sessions before you leave home for Canada. And don't forget, a controlled break is allowed on the sit to flush test only. Although I must admit that some of the birds come down so close, it can still be a challenge to get them stopped. Again, just something to train for, not really all that different from a very close water honor. We sure hope to see some of you in Saskatoon.

Laureen

We plan to be at the National Master in Saskatoon.
    We have never missed one ( know anyone else that can say that)
    And we have maybe 20 NMH finishes

Your area is beyond beautiful and we have competed in Ht and Ft in BC including out on the Island
    And for anyone that hasnt seen the prairies on a full moon in Aug well you need to add that to your bucket list
    Dk