The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

I said it before(most of this had already been hashed out in the deleted thread) but I'll say it again. A hunt test should NEVER favor a pro over an amateur handler...NEVER. I'm not anti pro at all but it wasn't the intent of the hunt tests, in fact I would argue that the intent was partly to get away from pros all together. Pro's are in the game to stay but to sacrifice any amateur handler that wants to play to allow a pro to run a string of dogs is wrong in every way.
    Fair or not the random draw hurts everyone and still risks leaving the local guy out of his nearby tests
    A limit to the number a handler can enter each day until full would work but some pros may prefer just being all in or all out. Which brings us to the simplest and IMO best way to do it, Owner/amateur/handlers get a day or two to enter before a pro can. That way the amateur gets his 1 or 2 dogs in, then the pros get to see who has the best computer skills. If they don't get in, they move to the next test even if they have to drive to get there instead of only getting a few of their dogs in before it fills.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Sheesh, you people are a trip.

I'm not gonna type all night so I'll be brief. Whether any of you want to admit it or not, Joe is right. Pros drive this sport, fair doesnt have a damn thing to do with anything. Fair doesnt exist in real life. Suck it up buttercup.

If you're an amateur and don't get your dogs signed up, oh well, go fishing, spend some time with your family, or go train some more.

Funny story, an AKC test is right in my back yard next month, it filled up on the day it opened and I didnt get signed up, guess what? I'm going fishing that weekend. I think I'll live.......
    HRCH Brady's BlackGold Benelli "Nelli"

Blackgold's Lewd Lady "Kate"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosier View Post
    Sheesh, you people are a trip.

I'm not gonna type all night so I'll be brief. Whether any of you want to admit it or not, Joe is right. Pros drive this sport, fair doesnt have a damn thing to do with anything. Fair doesnt exist in real life. Suck it up buttercup.

If you're an amateur and don't get your dogs signed up, oh well, go fishing, spend some time with your family, or go train some more.

Funny story, an AKC test is right in my back yard next month, it filled up on the day it opened and I didnt get signed up, guess what? I'm going fishing that weekend. I think I'll live.......
    LOL, do you see the irony and contradiction in your post?
    Just in case you don't I'll give you a hint. If pros drive this sport and every am had the same attitude you do, who would show up to put on the test?
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I said it before(most of this had already been hashed out in the deleted thread) but I'll say it again. A hunt test should NEVER favor a pro over an amateur handler...NEVER. I'm not anti pro at all but it wasn't the intent of the hunt tests, in fact I would argue that the intent was partly to get away from pros all together. Pro's are in the game to stay but to sacrifice any amateur handler that wants to play to allow a pro to run a string of dogs is wrong in every way.
    Fair or not the random draw hurts everyone and still risks leaving the local guy out of his nearby tests
    A limit to the number a handler can enter each day until full would work but some pros may prefer just being all in or all out. Which brings us to the simplest and IMO best way to do it, Owner/amateur/handlers get a day or two to enter before a pro can. That way the amateur gets his 1 or 2 dogs in, then the pros get to see who has the best computer skills. If they don't get in, they move to the next test even if they have to drive to get there instead of only getting a few of their dogs in before it fills.

Two thumbs up

guess what? I'm going fishing that weekend. I think I'll live.......
    are you gonna take Lemon with you, or are y'all still mad with each other? If not, ill go.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Pros do not drive the sport.
    Amateurs cut the checks. Without amateurs, no pro has a job.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    LOL, do you see the irony and contradiction in your post?
    Just in case you don't I'll give you a hint. If pros drive this sport and every am had the same attitude you do, who would show up to put on the test?

Not everybody has the same attitude as me? Oh My God, you mean there are people with different attitudes? Who knew?

I tell you what, maybe you should put on a test and not allow pros to sign up. Amateurs only. Let me know how that works out for ya......

Blaine, I aint mad at Mike, he's going, but I've got a big boat and theres plenty of room, you can ride. Besides, we've gotta have somebody to stay sober and get us back to the hill.

Whether any of you want to admit it or not, Joe is right. Pros drive this sport, .....
    Do tell, seems to me if there was no one to write a check each month professional dog trainers might be professional something but not dog trainers.

Not everybody has the same attitude as me? Oh My God, you mean there are people with different attitudes? Who knew?

I tell you what, maybe you should put on a test and not allow pros to sign up. Amateurs only. Let me know how that works out for ya......

Blaine, I aint mad at Mike, he's going, but I've got a big boat and theres plenty of room, you can ride. Besides, we've gotta have somebody to stay sober and get us back to the hill.
    Better yet, we can put on a test only for pros and all go fishing instead of helping and see how that works out for ya...

Good grief, can y'all not get the gist of what I was trying to say? Maybe I should've typed, "pros drive the sport because some amateurs have lives outside of running dogs every day and simply cannot devote the time to it to do it at the desired level, therefore they pay a pro"