The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

A caveat - I do not run HT. My club does not put on HT. However, in the Colorado Circuit for FT, the pros are very active in putting on FT. Kenny Trott and Marcy Wright work hard on the Centennial Club trial. Paul Knutson works hard on the Rocky Mountain Trial. Bart Peterson works hard on the West Nebraska trial. And all of them will pitch in on other trials if you ask. In Texas, I know that Eckett, Rorem, and Farmer each have Field trials on their property.

I know that when I judged for the Cape Fear Club, Alan and Gwen Pleasant busted their butts on the trial.

So in the FT game at least, the pros do pitch in. I would hope that HT pros would do the same.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Do tell Blaine
    So you are telling us that "Mr NO LIMITS,"who lives in a world of infinite resources and trust fund baby clients & has assured us all that he would do everything possible, including leasing more grounds, moving the test {at the last minute} etc to see to it that there were NO LIMITS and everybody could enter and run; has in fact LIMITED ENTRIES!!!!!!!!

Tell me Blaine is the sky falling at Candler Creek Retrievers and the rest of PIE IN THE SKY LAND??!?!?!??

Your buddy "Josef has managed to imply and outright call other clubs and their members who do this LAZY.
    In order to retain your brownie points, Please tell us what excludes Komrade Kandler Kreek from being painted with the same broad LAZY Brush which he so LIBERALLY wields against others

I don't really have any interest in arguing for him or you in a seemingly personal feud. From dealing with people and public communication for the last 15 years I've realized typed words and emotion leave a lot to be lost in translation in these types of venues. Misrepresentation and misinterpretation is inevitable. However I could answer a question of whether or not Joe understands the inner workings of a hunt test.

My suggestion would be for you to give him a call and the two of you could discuss the issue without keyboards and you can "hear" what's being said rather than assume.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    A caveat - I do not run HT. My club does not put on HT. However, in the Colorado Circuit for FT, the pros are very active in putting on FT. Kenny Trott and Marcy Wright work hard on the Centennial Club trial. Paul Knutson works hard on the Rocky Mountain Trial. Bart Peterson works hard on the West Nebraska trial. And all of them will pitch in on other trials if you ask. In Texas, I know that Eckett, Rorem, and Farmer each have Field trials on their property.

I know that when I judged for the Cape Fear Club, Alan and Gwen Pleasant busted their butts on the trial.

So in the FT game at least, the pros do pitch in. I would hope that HT pros would do the same.
    Ted don't be fooled by those who are trying to sidetrack this issue into an anti pro issue. That is not it at all. The rational contributors to this thread have not said or implied that Pros are bad and don't work hard

For me the issue is about finding a way to have fairness and finding an equitable process in giving everyone a shot at getting entered without having to have a network to monitor EE 24 hours a day ofr knowing the secret handshake or code to get in the 8 minute window of opportunity that has arisen in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post

My suggestion would be for you to give him a call and the two of you could discuss the issue without keyboards and you can "hear" what's being said rather than assume.
    Good idea, but he's busy runnin g water blinds

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Ted don't be fooled by those who are trying to sidetrack this issue into an anti pro issue. That is not it at all. The rational contributors to this thread have not said or implied that Pros are bad and don't work hard

For me the issue is about finding a way to have fairness and finding an equitable process in giving everyone a shot at getting entered without having to have a network to monitor EE 24 hours a day ofr knowing the secret handshake or code to get in the 8 minute window of opportunity that has arisen in some cases.
    Some pros could be proactive and ask their owners to make their own hunt test online entries to be more fair with the limits.

In AKC agility, per the rules - "Guaranteed Entries for Show Workers - The club may guarantee entry spots for "Show Workers" who have agreed to work at the trial."

Which in theory might lead to club expansion in new members and member participation at events.

Limits did not work in the beginning of hunt tests when entries were smaller, amateurs dominated, landowners shared grounds, and pros were the minority.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. "

Last edited by frontier; 02-25-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Just entered one where the committee was three like minded pros, the rest clients and relatives basically. Three FTs a year. Not to mention two HTs per year that are run on theses grounds. I can think of several others on my circuit where the pros not only let the trial be held on their grounds but are on the committee, lining up judges, working the event and running dogs and let the grounds be used for HTs.

You are just dead wrong when you argue that pros don't do anything for putting on events. They don't put them all on but we would lose a big chunk of the ones on our circuit if these folks went away.
    One out of how many?

Not dead wrong but not completely accurate either for which I apologize to those pros who do give back. Never good to use too broad a brush.

I should have said where we run you will not see any pros putting on HT's and very, very few offering to help. ( this speaks ONLY to the HT's) And more members of clubs and neighbors offer up land to use than HT pros. If not for them, many clubs would be SOOL. Of the 18 or so clubs in driving distance, all are kept going by dedicated people who make no gain from putting on tests. The point of all of this is everyone deserves a level playing field and if things continue on as they are in the South, many of the worker bees will soon decide to spend there time on other pursuits and everyone will hurt.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    One out of how many?

Not dead wrong but not completely accurate either for which I apologize to those pros who do give back. Never good to use too broad a brush.

I should have said where we run you will not see any pros putting on HT's and very, very few offering to help. ( this speaks ONLY to the HT's) And more members of clubs and neighbors offer up land to use than HT pros. If not for them, many clubs would be SOOL. Of the 18 or so clubs in driving distance, all are kept going by dedicated people who make no gain from putting on tests. The point of all of this is everyone deserves a level playing field and if things continue on as they are in the South, many of the worker bees will soon decide to spend there time on other pursuits and everyone will hurt.
    You say where you run pros do not help. Yet you worry about things are happening in the south. I am in the south and in addition to the several trials and HTs per year that simply would cease to exist without the pros doing everything from soup to nuts, almost every single HT I attend the pros help out significantly. Do they work harder than all the members at those events? No, but they work harder than many of the members--face it, every club has members that only show up and run their dogs as well.

You guys are using this situation as a great opportunity to blame pros for some reason, when it is absolutely not their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    You say where you run pros do not help. Yet you worry about things are happening in the south. I am in the south and in addition to the several trials and HTs per year that simply would cease to exist without the pros doing everything from soup to nuts, almost every single HT I attend the pros help out significantly. Do they work harder than all the members at those events? No, but they work harder than many of the members--face it, every club has members that only show up and run their dogs as well.

You guys are using this situation as a great opportunity to blame pros for some reason, when it is absolutely not their fault.
    By referring to the south I refer to the "10 minute rule" where limited entries are filling before even club members can enter. Filled by pro handlers entering by some magic means milliseconds after the event is finalized, leaving a large number of " worker bees " out of there own clubs event. The fact that you do not see that as a problem for the sport in general speaks volumes. And I again am referring ONLY to HT's.

And as a wise person mentioned on this thread, the HT was and should be for the average guy/gal who works for a living at things other than dog handling. Further, if said folk continue to be excluded, they will find other things to do and many pro handlers will be taking a bigger hit in the bottom line than if they were limited on how many dogs they could handle in any given test.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

How much clearer can it be made to knock off the personal name calling/attacks/misspelling of name/whatever!

STOP IT! Is that clear enough???????

Why must some people resort to this type of posts? Are they trying to get a thread pulled so they can then complain about that as well??

Please.....keep it civil and don't resort to personal attacks.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    By referring to the south I refer to the "10 minute rule" where limited entries are filling before even club members can enter. Filled by pro handlers entering by some magic means milliseconds after the event is finalized, leaving a large number of " worker bees " out of there own clubs event. The fact that you do not see that as a problem for the sport in general speaks volumes. And I again am referring ONLY to HT's.

And as a wise person mentioned on this thread, the HT was and should be for the average guy/gal who works for a living at things other than dog handling. Further, if said folk continue to be excluded, they will find other things to do and many pro handlers will be taking a bigger hit in the bottom line than if they were limited on how many dogs they could handle in any given test.
    Do you have any experience with this "10 minute rule"? On my "my events" page on EE, I have several HTs that have been open, with limited entries for over a week that I could enter right now.

As far as the worker bees, I keep going back to what I have been saying all along: if your club offers so little to its members that they will quit if they can't run their dogs in those two events per year, you have a much bigger problem.

Why is the original intention of HTs so important while nobody is concerned with the original intention of the MN? Why are you only concerned with the average guy/gal who works for a living but has access to grounds and time during daylight hours to train their dog every day instead the average guy/gal who works for a living but 60 hours per week and could not participate without a pro.

This is not about pros--just a convenient red herring for folks to adapt to their own pro-bashing agenda.