The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Do you have any experience with this "10 minute rule"? On my "my events" page on EE, I have several HTs that have been open, with limited entries for over a week that I could enter right now.

As far as the worker bees, I keep going back to what I have been saying all along: if your club offers so little to its members that they will quit if they can't run their dogs in those two events per year, you have a much bigger problem.

Why is the original intention of HTs so important while nobody is concerned with the original intention of the MN? Why are you only concerned with the average guy/gal who works for a living but has access to grounds and time during daylight hours to train their dog every day instead the average guy/gal who works for a living but 60 hours per week and could not participate without a pro.

This is not about pros--just a convenient red herring for folks to adapt to their own pro-bashing agenda.
    Yup, you are right on all points and there is no problem. Pro handlers are not causing any problems at all, it is the whiny club members causing all of this angst. Clubs that can't support unlimited entries have no business being a club at all. How dare they try to work with in there means and still put on events they can be proud of. Members who can't enter there own test should be thankful they have more free time over the weekend to throw birds for others. Yep, no problems at all and life is good.

To a couple of your points:

IMO, both the HT and MN are a problem. Both, IMO , have strayed from what they were established for.

If a person never runs or trains his/her dog they are not participating, they are spectators watching someone run and train their dog.

The guy/gal who finds time to train and run their animal is usually the same person throwing the flyer at the test so someone else can watch there handler run their dog.

As to the club and what it offers: we will celebrate 30 years as a club this year. We were formed at the beginning and did so to allow retriever lovers a chance to train and test there dogs in this great new sport. We hold 2 HT's each year so our members can run close to home and enjoy our sport together as club members. We do not limit as we have ample grounds and a dedicated membership. We are lucky. Many clubs do not have the ability to hold unlimited events and as such, members should not be penalized by not being able to enter the event they are hosting. If that trend were to continue it will cause people to reflect on why they are members of a club to begin with.

None of these post are anti pro handler specific: All are looking for a system where everyone has a fair chance at entering any given event.

But then again, I suppose I could be mistaken and there is not problem.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Do you have any experience with this "10 minute rule"? On my "my events" page on EE, I have several HTs that have been open, with limited entries for over a week that I could enter right now.

As far as the worker bees, I keep going back to what I have been saying all along: if your club offers so little to its members that they will quit if they can't run their dogs in those two events per year, you have a much bigger problem.

Why is the original intention of HTs so important while nobody is concerned with the original intention of the MN? Why are you only concerned with the average guy/gal who works for a living but has access to grounds and time during daylight hours to train their dog every day instead the average guy/gal who works for a living but 60 hours per week and could not participate without a pro.

This is not about pros--just a convenient red herring for folks to adapt to their own pro-bashing agenda.
    That is really an unfair statement to make. For most, if not all clubs, the biggest events they conduct in a year are their tests. This is what many of those club members look forward to each year. So to expect any hard working member of that club to just suck it up if they are not allowed to participate in their biggest event of the year is very short sighted, IMO. And it doesn't mean that you or your club have much bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by krapwxman View Post
    That is really an unfair statement to make. For most, if not all clubs, the biggest events they conduct in a year are their tests. This is what many of those club members look forward to each year. So to expect any hard working member of that club to just suck it up if they are not allowed to participate in their biggest event of the year is very short sighted, IMO. And it doesn't mean that you or your club have much bigger problems.
    My point is that the value proposition of many clubs seems to be "give us $30 bucks a year and come work your butt off for 4 weeks a year--if you are really good, you can be an officer and work even more prior to these events".

If that is all a club offers, I can certainly understand why someone who could not run said test would no longer volunteer. If the club offers other things like training days, training groups where folks can get help from more experienced trainers, club trials, access to grounds, etc., it is much easier to convince folks there is a reason they are giving back.

Some of the best workers hardly ever run dogs in club events. They are hunters basically and work to help the club which helps them.

All I am saying is that some clubs need to limit their entries. I get that. We don't have the grounds to split a MH, so we limit our entries. But the problem is not a pro vs. amateur and I value the average person who puts his dog with a pro just as much as the ones who have the luxury of training their own. Regardless of one's status, it is not the fault of the participants for signing up to run their dogs.

DH, You're wasting your time bud. I gave up around mid-morning. They don't get it, and they wont. They want "fair". I've tried to explain to them that fair doesn't exist but they don't get that either.

I'm gonna switch over to EE so I don't miss out on gettting signed up for another test. I've gotta get these poor UKC titled dogs of mine some letters BEHIND their names so I'll have some credibility around here.
    HRCH Brady's BlackGold Benelli "Nelli"

Blackgold's Lewd Lady "Kate"

Nope it's never going to be fair, but the only way to resolve this is for AKC to give the clubs more control over there test and how they want to handle entries, if they choose to have a limit fine, if they choose not to be part of the MN fine, if they want to do a staged or staggered entry giving the O/H (note I didn't say AM. or PRO) first dibs on the spots fine. If a pro has 15 dogs and he only gets 5 entered he may very well say the heck with it and look for another test, he may have to do some traveling, but that's what he does for a living and the additional costs can be split between his clients, they may not like it but it may encourage them to run there own dog and a club may gain a few members in the process. And some clubs may just leave it as is, if that's the case and the test fills up in 10 min. so be it but at least they had the option to make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosier View Post
    DH, You're wasting your time bud. I gave up around mid-morning. They don't get it, and they wont. They want "fair". I've tried to explain to them that fair doesn't exist but they don't get that either.

I'm gonna switch over to EE so I don't miss out on gettting signed up for another test. I've gotta get these poor UKC titled dogs of mine some letters BEHIND their names so I'll have some credibility around here.
    I don't know about around here, but your credibility will always be in question. Hey are you gonna run...shucks, already full.