The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    I don't think I am whining or complaining. Just a bit exasperated about how the game is being played. Not throwing my sucker in the dirt, but sure feel like these issues need to be discussed
    Heck of a way to get new members in clubs so that they can be notified of the "secret" entry day.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    You are correct. Texas tests don't run all summer so you have to get them when you can

I'm enjoying this sport, and love the events. I also believe that if some one has 100 passes on a dog, and they enjoy running tests, then there should be no ill will for him continuing to enter tests. After all this is first a hobby and not just a title chase

Correct me if I'm wrong but your just trying to enter you dog and someone else is running them correct?

100% correct Todd My trainer has the owner enter their own dog
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Furthermore, your entries are subject to be scratched from this event and Entry Express reserves the right to require payment in advance, via cashier check, for future event entry until your account is made current."

I'd think that a club would be royally PO'd if a handler's dogs were scratched. Suppose a handler has 20 dogs entered in a Master and then it closes, Then EE scratches the dogs because of non-payment. Now the club is left with 20 openings that could have gone to someone else and in fact may have already consumed resources ... birds, committed to bird boys or judges, etc. I'm not certain but that the club wouldn't have grounds for a claim against EE for the entry fees ... 20 X $75 or whatever.

If EE were to require payment and then enter the dogs, that would be fine. Here I'm talking about letting a handler enter his 20 dogs but the entries are held in suspense until a credit card transaction is approved or the funds received. If the money gets there too late ... tough. The dogs are out as other entries were accepted in the meantime. The way it's described, EE is fronting for the high volume handlers in an almost criminal manner.

I'd think that the single dog owners that are unable to enter consistently in these circumstances, should contact the AKC. AKC has this set of files into which all letters outlining a problem go whether it's about the judging, an issue with the rules, or an issue regarding the test events themselves. When enough letters are in a file that it begins to smell like old, dead fish, they pull the file and begin to watch things more closely. AKC could do a number of things all the way up to banning the use of an entry service. Entry services are used in most AKC venues but this is the only event for which the service (EE) itself is being blamed or called into question. Dead fish...
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I know you are not whining, there are a few here though that don't seem to understand what hunt tests are suppose to be about.
    Thats the hardest part for me to understand as well, Iv'e never found the actual entering of a dog to be much fun at all but standing next to them and handling them, well I would like to think thats why we do this, but apparently there are alot of folks that don't see it that way..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 02-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Thats the hardest part for me to understand as well, as far as I'm concerned if your paying someone to run your dog in a HT then your part of the problem...
    not always but painting witha broad brush isnt always accourate. i have 100% trained my dogs BUT now life has me so tied down that i simply cant continue giving them the time they (my dogs)deserve........so i am thinking about putting them with a trainer that will allow them to do what they live to do. or i could stick em in the kennel and let them be miserable most of the time........what would you do? they are 4 years old and know nothing but training 3 to 4 days a week except for lately. and FWIW i cannot change my circumstances only GOD above can handle that situation
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

It definitely does give an advantage to a pro, or more specifically to the pro's do-nothing clients who write the checks and lounge around the gallery if they bother to attend at all. If the onus was put on the owners to enter their own dogs, the distribution of pro vs O/H dogs would be a lot fairer. Also--some pros enter for their buddies. Used to be you'd see a lot of people listing a pro as alternate handler so they'd be in the same flight if tests were split; now you see it on entries on these tests that fill fast. Seems like coalitions of friends with only one or two dogs need to develop something similar with a club member of the test they want to enter....watch for that, coming to a test near you! Heck I'd do it because I have very Third World internet/cell access and rarely carry, much less use my cell phone when on the road. I'd gladly pay a fee to some techie that is on their phone 24/7 to enter for me if there was a test I wanted to get into.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Lee View Post
    not always but painting witha broad brush isnt always accourate. i have 100% trained my dogs BUT now life has me so tied down that i simply cant continue giving them the time they (my dogs)deserve........so i am thinking about putting them with a trainer that will allow them to do what they live to do. or i could stick em in the kennel and let them be miserable most of the time........what would you do? they are 4 years old and know nothing but training 3 to 4 days a week except for lately. and FWIW i cannot change my circumstances only GOD above can handle that situation
    I deleted that original post because I thought it sounded kinda harsh and for the very reasons you stated, and agree with you 100%. With that being said I'm personally not really concerned with the person who can't get his dogs entered so his pro can run them. What is concerning to me is the guy that is training and running his own dog and has limited time and funds and can not get his dog entered.

Todd, the entering isn't the fun. Lord Knows it isnt ANY fun right now! But give me a little more credit if you will. We start the dog, and send it to a long time friend who knows this bloodline better than anyone. We go down and throw birds when we can and learn to run our dog. We learn to run a dog that knows cues. I can't imagine someone begrudging someone wanting to learn to train their dog the right way.

This time of year we are consumed with lambing( we have a ranch) and our full time jobs

But thats why it's my hobby. I can chose how I spend my money and how to get the most out of it for me and my dog

edited to add. By training the right way, I'm not implying you need to use a pro to train the right way, what I'm saying is that we got tired of our dog suffering for our training errors. By getting a good foundation, we should have more luck figuring out how to do this correctly. I guess it is t any different than a guy running a dog that they purchased trained
    Last edited by Moose Mtn; 02-22-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

I can't imagine someone begrudging someone wanting to learn to train their dog the right way.

I'm not begrudging you at all, and this has nothing to do with wanting to learn how to train a dog the right way, I think it's great that people use a pro to get going on the right track or to fix a problem that they can't figure out ect.