The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

I can't imagine someone begrudging someone wanting to learn to train their dog the right way.

I'm not begrudging you at all, and this has nothing to do with wanting to learn how to train a dog the right way, I think it's great that people use a pro to get going on the right track or to fix a problem that they can't figure out ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    I don't run many AKC tests, but how can it possibly fill that fast? Are people giving EE their info before it opens? I hope that's not the case but I don't know what else it could be.
    Club members are notified of entry date ahead so they can be sure to get their entrys in first and as many members have their dogs with pro's those pro's get notified ahead also. Bad situation but like one poster said, just take your money elsewhere, join a club that does this or sit back and watch all the talk, or rent a movie.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    I tell you guys.... For a person having their first dog to ever try for a Master test..... This game is becoming not much fun FAST
    Man I hear you. I'm about to (or wanted to) run Master in a couple of months and this is highly discouraging. These folks are obviously getting tipped off for when it opens and this is a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    May be worth noting that in that test there is one senior and two juniors entered.
    Waterloo - 120 of 120 master dogs, 12 Senior
    HoT - 60 of 60 master, 3 Jr., 3 Sr.
    Big D - 120 of 120 master, 4 Jr., 7 Sr.
    Metro Alliance - 150 of 150 master, 7 Sr., 0 Jr. (of two Jr. flights)

Glad we have switched over to running quals, no problems with getting entered. Saw this coming!
    HRCH UH Night Owl's Black Diamond MH "Homer"(500 Point Club)
    HRCH Iza-Gotsa-Lotsa-Go-Go MH "Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Thats the hardest part for me to understand as well, Iv'e never found the actual entering of a dog to be much fun at all but standing next to them and handling them, well I would like to think thats why we do this, but apparently there are alot of folks that don't see it that way..
    That's a different discussion and isn't the point here (and you know it). There are all kinds of reasons and circumstances why someone might not run their own dog and frankly it's none of your business. It isn't your dog or your money. It's easy for you to cast aspersions in every direction because this doesn't affect you.

How about we limit Texas tests to Texas based owners and handlers. How ya like them apples?
    Last edited by Cowtown; 02-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.

In any sport where there is a reward, be it monetary or emotional, a level of corruption will creep in. You see in in everything from pee wee football to professional sports.

Each owner has their own situation driving whether they train, handle, or just enjoy the pride of ownership of their dogs. We seek out these tests as a way to validate our investments in time, money and emotions. The dogs don't really care whether they pass or fail.

I hope the game will self right itself. If it implodes, I am confident that another will take its place.

Until it does, everyone keep feeding, training, and enjoying your dogs. Bottom line they are far more important than another ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    That's a different discussion and isn't the point here (and you know it). There are all kinds of reasons and circumstances why someone might not run their own dog and frankly it's none of your business. It isn't your dog or your money. It's easy for you to cast aspersions in every direction because this doesn't affect you.

How about we limit Texas tests to Texas based owners and handlers. How ya like them apples?

Really????????? You believe that the very reason the OP can't get his dog entered has nothing to do with the problem? It certainly isn't because too many O/H are entered.

The problem has been created by the clubs. The clubs are owned, and run by the membership. The clubs made a decision to limit entries and now the membership isn't happy because there aren't enough spots and its "damn the pros". Unbelievable. If you don't like it take it up with your club. Not a member?? No license to bitch.
    The answer is not MORE laws, and restrictions. Its starting to sound like the federal government. All I've read over and over is "lack of help"..."pros and clients don't help"..."we don't have people"..I can assure you that limiting entries does only that. It doesn't solve the real problem of why your club can't recruit enough help. Keep on and it will be just like the HRC. Pros can only run 12 dogs...if the club itself allows....flights are limited to 30...anyone can enter up until the day of...keep on. Then let your secretary pull his/her hair out trying to keep all of the BS straight... and forget turning a profit. You will have bitten the hand so to speak and handcuffed the very resource that ensures your club stays out of the red.
    Y'all want fairness in entering?? That's easy. But that's not really what yall want. Y'all want special treatment to make sure your "amateur" dog gets preference over anybody else. Affirmative action doesn't work. There's no such thing as fair. The answer is not punitive on the pros part...its proactivity from the clubs.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater"

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post

That might not sit so well with those of you who head North in the summer. We too have several clubs that need to run limited Master 's.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!