The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: First Big D.....Now Heart of Texas

Pros can only run 12 dogs...if the club itself allows....flights are limited to 30..

12 is too many, thats why we limit ours to 8, and common sense tells me that you can't effectively judge more than 30 dogs in a one day test.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    12 is too many, thats why we limit ours to 8, and common sense tells me that you can't effectively judge more than 30 dogs in a one day test.
    We fought for years, tooth and nail, to fill up our flights and not lose money on every test we put on. 12 isn't enough. I'd let one pro have an entire flight so long as he'd bring an assistant to take care of his honoring and bye dog issues. If the hrc would allow 15 dogs I'd give 2 pros one flight and let it run itself. I'd bet my life savings it would finish first and be the smootjest run flight on the grounds. And yes, you can effectively judge more than 30 dogs. With 2 flights in one day an hrc judge sees approx 60 a day...WITH breakdown and setup from land to water and vice versa. If you never had to move and dont mis-manage your time its no problem to see 75 a day. I've seen 90 done in 1 8hr day last fall at cooper river. It was a good test too. I'm telling you, limiting the pros ain't gonna get it. They fund this whole deal whether you want to admit it or not.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Wow, anyone who wants to come help with PPRC's inability to be proactive because we limit entries is more than welcome...blaming the clubs is pretty lame! Our club works freaking hard to generate membership and keep active people but it isn't easy and I'm happy if we can snag a warm body for a year or so. And I have a few choice words for those who say PPRC is not being proactive, however I'll refrain but know it has something to do with kissing...oh yeah and pounding sand!

How about requiring the actual owner to enter their dogs, no more authorized agent (ie Pro or friend of a friend)...this would limit mass entries possibly?
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. View Post
    I don't run many AKC tests, but how can it possibly fill that fast? Are people giving EE their info before it opens? I hope that's not the case but I don't know what else it could be.
    There are people who know when the test will open, simple as that.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

What exactly is the problem?

Secret handshake entry system
    Limited workers
    Limited grounds
    Too many pro dogs
    Too few amateur dogs
    Master National Impact on weekend HT

Seems like a lot of people focusing on different issues
    Probably there is no one size fits all answer
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Yes, some clubs do a good job of notifying ALL members. Others act as if it is an 8th grade clique and only advise their friends. What's bad is when non members get tipped off and members do not.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Really????????? You believe that the very reason the OP can't get his dog entered has nothing to do with the problem? It certainly isn't because too many O/H are entered.
    LOL Your posts were nothing about offering ideas or solutions. In your rush to criticize Moose Mtn, you must have missed the part where his pro has his clients enter their own dogs. Please explain how that's part of the problem? Your posts were an attempt to belittle Moose Mtn for not running his own dog, how it boggled your mind or whatever it was you said that someone would have the gall to not handle their own dog and how you're not concerned about an owner having difficulty entering his dog only for a pro to run it. Reminds me of Biden telling Chuck Graham to stand up.

Like I said, there are a ton of potential reasons Moose Mtn or anyone else might not handle their own dog, none of which should concern you. Pros getting tipped off or getting some VIP deal on entering 30 dogs with 1 click is a big problem, not pros that have their own clients enter their own dogs.
    Last edited by Cowtown; 02-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Wow, anyone who wants to come help with PPRC's inability to be proactive because we limit entries is more than welcome...blaming the clubs is pretty lame! Our club works freaking hard to generate membership and keep active people but it isn't easy and I'm happy if we can snag a warm body for a year or so. And I have a few choice words for those who say PPRC is not being proactive, however I'll refrain but know it has something to do with kissing...oh yeah and pounding sand!

How about requiring the actual owner to enter their dogs, no more authorized agent (ie Pro or friend of a friend)...this would limit mass entries possibly?
    How is blaming the cause of the situation lame?? The clubs asked for limits. They got them. Now, their own members can't get spots in their own tests and its someone else's fault? Its not belittling in any way. Its fact. You don't have to like it but pointing fingers at those supporting your club doesn't answer the problem. It is obvious the problem is limits. Those are set by the club.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

seems it would be pretty easy to accept all entries then hold a lottery drawing to fill the spots. then you wouldnt have to know the secret handshake. Also clubs could see how many flights they could fill.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    Waterloo - 120 of 120 master dogs, 12 Senior
    HoT - 60 of 60 master, 3 Jr., 3 Sr.
    Big D - 120 of 120 master, 4 Jr., 7 Sr.
    Metro Alliance - 150 of 150 master, 7 Sr., 0 Jr. (of two Jr. flights)
    Take a look at the FT tests in Texas. Five are open that close in March, mid to late. There are 14 entries in all of the stakes for all 5 tests (one FT running 3/7 closing 2/24 has 47 dogs signed up in two stakes) . This is how the hunt tests were prior to limits and MN pushes. Folks did not jump in until hours before close. We would get 80% of the entries the day prior to close.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."