The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boykin questions

Default Boykin questions

I have a buddy who is looking into getting a boykin....what are some of the top producing kennels and who are proven sires out there?
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Brandywine creek, contact Phil Hinchman, great guy and fantastic dogs.

If I was looking for a Boykin I would be looking for a breeding with Saint Thomas Chief as the sire. I'm pretty sure he was the second Boykin GrHRCH and the first MH.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lo Buono View Post
    I have a buddy who is looking into getting a boykin....what are some of the top producing kennels and who are proven sires out there?
    Just Ducky Kennel - Pam Kadlac
    Brandywine
    Pocotaligo - Kim Parkman
    Dovewood - Roy Thompson - health testing and has longevity in this breed and produces some nice healthy Boykins for hunters

Proven sires would be listed on any of those web sites. There are also some very nice studs amateur owned that are bred frequently and a number of other responsible breeders who perhaps only breed one or two litters annually. The number of health tested and field titled sires available is very small in comparison to availability in other sporting breeds. Majority of Boykins are placed in pet/hunting homes.

Finding a pup from a responsible breeder who is performing required health testing is very important. Boykins still have a very high rate of hip dysplasia; minimum OFA hips, ACO eye clearances, OFA cardiac, and DNA tested for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC). There are also allergies epilepsy, patella, and thyroid issues.
    Last edited by frontier; 02-22-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Finding a pup from a responsible breeder who is performing required health testing is very important. Boykins still have a very high rate of hip dysplasia; minimum OFA hips, ACO eye clearances, OFA cardiac, and DNA tested for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC). There are also allergies epilepsy, patella, and thyroid issues.
    This.......
    We don't rent pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lo Buono View Post
    I have a buddy who is looking into getting a boykin....
    The first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem

Phil Hinchman at Brandywines. Check out his web site.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    The first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem
    Classic......
    Bill Davis

What is your friends intentions with the dog and his reason for wanting a boykin? He should do his homework. And it will be more than just asking a question on a forum "which kennels are top producing". That's not a dig at you, just need to be more specific. It's not like lab kennels in which folks could name lots of kennels and/or individuals to point you in the right direction. The #'s just aren't there like with Labs. What's top producing? Sheer #'s of litters. There are a few that brag on #'s of puppies born per year that wouldn't be worth talking to. But there are a few out there and a few individuals doing their work to produce healthy, and very sporty boykins. Finding a puppy isn't really as hard as figuring out how you gonna get it to do what you want it to do.

For a lot of info on boykins, health, breeding and titled dogs look at this link- http://www.boykinspaniel.com

Theres only been 50 something HRCH boykins in the world. Heres the list. http://www.boykinspaniel.com/HRCtitles.html

research the owners of those dogs, find out who trained them, how it went, and start there.

Come to the National field trial in April and camp out at the Open stake and watch dogs. There will be some great boykins there doing big dog work. talk to some of the owners/handlers (just don't bother them while they're getting ready to run).

and when you find some studs you like and bitches you like. Go to the OFFA website and type in their dogs name and see what it turns up.
    http://www.offa.org
    Last edited by BlaineT; 02-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

A friend of mine has a puppy sired by Saint Thomas Chief. Outstanding dog.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."