The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Boykin questions

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Sue's boys are legit. And fun to watch run as well!

Sue, what's the waiting time on getting a pup sired by your boys? Pm me if you have any really really nice breeding a coming up.
    Thanks Troy. Check for a PM and then email me.
    AWSUE

AWS
    JUSTIN - UH HRCH MHR CH Gamecr Just Plain Ol" MH MHR WDS [Only AWS to pass the Grand]
    GATOR - HRCH MHR CH Carolina Just Plain Ol' Gator MHR MH WDS [First AWS to earn AKC Master Hunter(retriever) ]
    ZUZU - SHR SR CH Waterway Game Cr Zuzu's Petls SH WD CGC (RIP)

BLF
    LOLA - HRCH BC's Just Plain Ol' Amicalola

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    david,

i must admit my knowledge of spaniels is limited. whether aws, boykin, field cocker, brittany(don't know if i even spelled that right?) or any other..........i don't know jack doo doo.

when i said stoney is the "best in the world", i also noted that statement was "according to me". the record i sited initially was stoney's performance in the "boykin breed specific field trial". i have been led to understand this breed specific field trial is a "competition" and a winner is awarded at its conclusion once per year. since stoney has won two of the last three annual competitions in my simple mind i just figured he is "the best".

for all i know "chief" may not have even entered these field trials or he may have won the three before stoney? i'm not a spaniel guy so i don't rightly know. i did site stoney getting the mnh/mh or whatever and at least 500 hrc points (which are both against a standard) as additional support for my uneducated opinion of his prowess. it is quite impressive that chief has a big ol' bunch of points as well.

i will add that stoney has one extremely notable accomplishment that chief is likely never to attain. stoney is the reigning 2013 NAHRC DOG OF THE YEAR. the traveling "puhl doo" or "coot" trophy will be on butch's mantle until our hunt test in a couple of weeks.

jmc
    It's hard to say any dog is "The Best". Just like you really cant say any football player or baseball player is the best. It's subjective, what you may like in a dog I may not. My dog would probably smoke most of the dogs in the BSS Trials but we will never get a chance to try. His breeders are affiliated with AKC and they did not register the litter with the BSS. Due to the politics between the Boykin Spaniel Society and the Boykin Spaniel Breeders Association I cannot go back and register him with the BSS like you can with UKC and AKC.

So even though my dog is a registered Boykin Spaniel with the UKC and AKC and all of his lineage/pedigree comes out of the BSS we can't run in the BSS trails. Which makes it even harder to say that any dog is the best since some of their peers who may even be more talented can't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Esylivin View Post
    John, glad to see you give the Boykins their just due, kicking all the Labs ass up in NAHRC is no small feat!!!
    esy,
    our team of experts give this award to the most deserving team. it is a totaly objective, non-discriminatory, merit based selection process. stoney was tops for us last year! for a mere $35/year and a training day attendance, you and chief will be automatically entered for 2014 too!

but now, if kickin' my lab's asses is the only way a person can find happiness........life may be long and sad!
    john mccallie

John, Thanks for the invite I'll take you up on it. BTW kicking Lab's butts is not the only way but it is a lot of fun. We do not descriminate we like to kick all retriever's butts. Hope to see you at a test or club event soon.

BTW Stoney and Chief will again be competing head to head April 10 at the Nationals in Boykin SC. We are going back to the family grounds of the developer of the Boykin Breed (Whit Boykin). Lots of History. Butch and I are great friends and love this competition, I feel it makes each of us better along with our dogs. Anyone interested, the details are on the BSS website http://www.boykinspaniel.org/. Come out and enjoy a great weekend with the family, plenty of other events to do with your dog.
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2000 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

Huck, sorry you got caught up in the politics of the Boykin entities. I think the attitudes are changing. We have a lot of communication between the two now. I'm a long time member of the BSS and work on the Hunt Test Committee, I also serve on the BOD of the BSCBAA. We have come a long way in that the AKC now recognizes the Boykin as a versatile breed allowing them to compete in both spaniel and retriever hunt tests. We are working for acceptance in Field Trials, starting with Spaniels. Hopefully one day they will blend into one entity where all are focused together on the betterment of the breed. Good thing is we still have plenty of venues and opportunities to show off this amazing breed. Hope to see you at an event in the future.
    HRC 2000 Points Club

Esylivin

Rebel was sired by your boy. Rebel continues to show his best and many would like a Boykin like him. At a recent big training day Rebel got a standing ovation from each gun station at a training session upon completing a triple (land, land-water land, and a land-water with extreme angle entry).

I hope to see Chief one day. Frank and I did want to come South.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Esylivin View Post
    John, Thanks for the invite I'll take you up on it. BTW kicking Lab's butts is not the only way but it is a lot of fun. We do not descriminate we like to kick all retriever's butts. Hope to see you at a test or club event soon.

BTW Stoney and Chief will again be competing head to head April 10 at the Nationals in Boykin SC. We are going back to the family grounds of the developer of the Boykin Breed (Whit Boykin). Lots of History. Butch and I are great friends and love this competition, I feel it makes each of us better along with our dogs. Anyone interested, the details are on the BSS website http://www.boykinspaniel.org/. Come out and enjoy a great weekend with the family, plenty of other events to do with your dog.
    Butch IS good people. And stoney is a great dog. So is chief. Can't wait to compete against them all. Fun weekend for sure. Lots of really nice boykins. It's a shame that all won't be there.
    Last edited by BlaineT; 02-26-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

If everyone on this thread is confused by when a dog has a MH versus a MHR, don't feel bad, the folks at the Performance Events of AKC don't know either. When my AWS earned his Senior Hunter Retriever (SHR) title, AKC sent me a certificate for a Senior Hunter. I called and explained that he had never run in a Senior test, we went straight to Master in the Spaniel. Finally I got hold to someone who knew something and she straightened things out. She did explain that AKC's computers were not set up to record the "crossover" dog's passes and they had to be entered by hand. Since then, every Master Retriever test that we've passed, I've had to call AKC to make sure they had entered them correctly.
    A friend whose Boykin got her JHR had the same problem, receiving a JH Title Certificate. If you have a Retriever that you are running in the Spaniel tests, I would double check with AKC on those titles as well.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

gdgnyc, looking forward to meeting you and seeing Frank and Rebel again. Let me know when you head this way.
    HRC 2000 Points Club

I've got a nice litter that'll be ready soon.
    We don't rent pigs.