The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCRC Hunt Test Judging Seminar

Default FCRC Hunt Test Judging Seminar

I went to a Hunt Test Judging Seminar presented by Jerry Mann and sponsored by the Fort Collins Retriever Club today.

I thought it was interesting and informative.

Thanks to Jerry and Jeff Schoonover for their efforts.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

What a wonderful opportunity!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    What a wonderful opportunity!

It really was. There are some things that I wish that Field Trials would incorporate that the Hunt Tests use. For example, requiring that a Judges take a seminar which discusses the Rule Book. I wish that both Field Trials and Hunt Tests require that all handlers attend a Rule Book Seminar before they are allowed to compete. In my opinion, you ought to demonstrate a working knowledge of the rules before you are permitted to come to the line.

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

It really was. There are some things that I wish that Field Trials would incorporate that the Hunt Tests use. For example, requiring that a Judges take a seminar which discusses the Rule Book. I wish that both Field Trials and Hunt Tests require that all handlers attend a Rule Book Seminar before they are allowed to compete. In my opinion, you ought to demonstrate a working knowledge of the rules before you are permitted to come to the line.
    Ted, we advocate that hard in our club and in our area. They are titled Judges AND Handler seminars. They can be a bit dry at times, but do clear up many misconceptions and urban myths.

Now all you need to do is train a dog and pass a Jr, apprentice, and you too can become a HT judge. I'm confident you could become a capable judge with time.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Don't have anything against this personally... But the FT game has a hard enough time getting experienced judges to just judge. Many of them wouldn't bother if there were further requirements.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Don't have anything against this personally... But the FT game has a hard enough time getting experienced judges to just judge. Many of them wouldn't bother if there were further requirements.

If they can't sacrifice one day every three years to take a seminar, they probably shouldn't be judging anyway.

Home of:

So since it appears AM's are not having a hard enough time getting to the line with sign ups , now you "wish" for more hoops to jump through and they will need to sacrifice another weekend of travel, expense and sitting through a seminar to even get their dog to the line ? That should really help HT pro's fill their trucks up.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 02-23-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I think participation in a sport requires an elementary understanding of the rules, whether that be a Hunt Test or a Field Trial.

I have read another debates about the HT and FT rules on RTF, and over heard enough debates about FT rules at Field Trials to have reached the conclusion that too few participants really understand the Rules. I think that you ought to learn the Rules before you participate. I think that if a day is too much for you to set aside for a one time seminar on the Rules of the Road, you probably ought to be doing something else

But, don't worry. What I want will never happen. Because there are too many people that believe that they have a right to participate in a sport even though they don't understand the Rules that govern the sport.

Home of:

I wish that both Field Trials and Hunt Tests require that all handlers attend a Rule Book Seminar before they are allowed to compete. In my opinion, you ought to demonstrate a working knowledge of the rules before you are permitted to come to the line.
    Totally agree Ted -

As a handler, I wanted to know what the judges were being told by AKC to look for as far as passing and failing on marks and blinds. I wanted first hand knowledge and not hearsay on what is considered a pass and what is a fail.

As a judge - I think this would help handlers (pros too!) to understand why they pass or fail and reduce the line of handlers who won't ask the judge about a dog's performance, just complain to everyone else.

Worst thought is "you need a clean triple to pass", so handlers let their dogs run all over the test and grounds hoping to stumble on the key bird and not have that "handle".

2nd worst is not the "challenge" of the blind, but thinking about the number of counting whistles. Or that has taken a good cast because it turned to the correct side as it continues it's path away from the blind.

And again, as a judge, some of the worst at this are the pros - so to require them to attend 1 seminar before running a Master would only help, IMHO.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

I don't have any present intent to run Hunt Tests. Nor do I have any present intent to judge Hunt Tests.

I went because I wanted to know how the sport is judged as compared to Field Trials. I was concerned that I was unnecessarily burning a free day, but I find the presentation pretty interesting.

If I was someone who was thinking about taking the plunge into HT, or was an active participant in HT, I can't imagine why I wouldn't want to know how the AKC believes the rules should be interpreted, so that I could maximize my performance within the AKC structure. In the same vein, if I were participating in HRC or NAHRA, I would be doing the same thing.
    To me, it just makes good sense.

Home of: