The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would it affect you? Entry limit related

Default How would it affect you? Entry limit related

If you picked one local club with a HT, let's say one in the spring and one in the fall. How would forgoing an entry to work those weekends affect your yearly goals for your dog?

It seems like (active judges aside) giving up one or two running opportunities a year to purely dedicate yourself to hosting events shouldn't be a big deal...

Maybe that's just easy for me to say. I live in a spot where I get 8-10 nearby opportunities a year to run a MH test, or at least I used to before limits.

So this isn't rhetorical ?? and maybe the answer should be obvious but why IS everyone so focused on being able to enter an event that they are "working"?

Also how do people define "working"? I sure hope we don't mean one shift on a winger because that's just helping out and you should always be available for that if needed IMO.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 02-23-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    Darrin Greene

I have done it both ways. If the event is close, no big deal. If it requires a motel, etc, I wouldn't go unless I was running a dog.
    My last volunteering to help was marshaling for the weekend for started dogs without any dog of my own.
    P.S. Since back surgery I haven't volunteered but certainly did prior.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-23-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Depends on where you live. If you are in south Florida there are only 4 test (AKC) within 4 hours drive 8 if you extend to a 6-7 hour drive. Giving up one or two screws you on getting a title or qualifying for MN.
    i also can see just working if I have a dog to run. Besides we hire help. With the cost of entry fees there is no reason to not hire bird help
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I see no reason why anybody shouldnt be able to enter their dog just to work a trial if everybody pitches in and helps. No problem to share duties like marshal or whatever so someone can go run their dog. After all aren't the dogs the reason we do this?

I work 4 events a year. Hunt tests are not close to me. Closest one is 1.5 hours and then it's a min of 4 hours to get to one. So if I can't run I probably will not go. I have a young family and work a job were I am not home a bunch anyway. So time away from family is not something I really want to do. If we go out of town I like to take at least one of my kids with me so working an event I travel to is out for me as well.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

No tests closer than two hours here. I generally Marshall the senior or master stakes the whole weekend. I have limited weekends. If I wasn't able to get into my clubs event, I would look for another test. Otherwise I'd never be competing. I hate to be like that but I'd used to work regardless of whether or not I had an entry. My dogs and I suffered for that as I didn't have a free weekend to go to another test. Unfortunately it's about time.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    If you picked one local club with a HT, let's say one in the spring and one in the fall. How would forgoing an entry to work those weekends and affect your yearly goals for your dog?

It seems like (active judges aside) giving up one or two running opportunities a year to purely dedicate yourself to hosting events shouldn't be a big deal...

Maybe that's just easy for me to say. I live in a spot where I get 8-10 nearby opportunities a year to run a MH test, or at least I used to before limits.

So this isn't rhetorical ?? and maybe the answer should be obvious but why IS everyone so focused on being able to enter an event that they are "working"?

Also how do people define "working"? I sure hope we don't mean one shift on a winger because that's just helping out and you should always be available for that if needed IMO.
    You keep coming up with different versions of the same idealistic pie in the sky "WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER TO WORK" theme.

Thats kind of a DUH!! solution. You could also propose solving our unemployment problem by telling people to get a job. The problem occurs when theory runs head on into reality!!!

The reality of it is that we don't have enough volunteers. Obviously because not enough people do what you propose.
    If you keep proposing it its not going to change that. Pro's running 30 dogs where none of those 30 owners even show up is a prob;em due to the fact that non attendees by defintion can't help out. An Am who is running their dog is in attendance, and so is available to help. Whether they do or not is another issue!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    You keep coming up with different versions of the same idealistic pie in the sky "WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER TO WORK" theme.

Thats kind of a DUH!! solution. You could also propose solving our unemployment problem by telling people to get a job. The problem occurs when theory runs head on into reality!!!

The reality of it is that we don't have enough volunteers. Obviously because not enough people do what you propose.
    If you keep proposing it its not going to change that. Pro's running 30 dogs where none of those 30 owners even show up is a prob;em due to the fact that non attendees by defintion can't help out. An Am who is running their dog is in attendance, and so is available to help. Whether they do or not is another issue!!
    It's alway the same people doing the work at every trial/test. I don't think just working our own club's tests or trials is enough of a contribution to the games. I suggest volunteering to do something at every test or trial you attend. Take the clipboard for a few hours, sort birds, take a turn shooting or working a gun station, help with lunches, help pickup or setup a test, help sort and clean gear at the end of the weekend, or bring your ATV. We are all in this together and need to help each other whenever possible. If you are at a test or trial running a dog, you have time help as well. The club may not take you up on your offer every time, but the offer is always appreciated. Many clubs a stretched very thin. If you want to continue having tests or trials close to home, then volunteer to help put them on.

Steve Bireley
    Blue Ridge Retriever Club

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

This is is a duh statement. No offense to you personally, but the idea of running multi flight ht with volunteers is laughable at best. With entry fees between $75-100 clubs should be hiring help. The best run test I run, judge, chair, committee, or work have had bird help. Every club I have been around or know the workings of are all the same. They have a small percentage of the members that are actually actively involved in work for the club and then a few more that will do some work at a test. That is just the way clubs are. All positions are voluntary and while some give everything far more give little when it comes to work. You can't force volunteers to do anything. Paid help is a necessity.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 02-23-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    If you picked one local club with a HT, let's say one in the spring and one in the fall. How would forgoing an entry to work those weekends and affect your yearly goals for your dog?

Lucky you - I can hit 2 tests a year within 2 hours drive one way. 4 or 5 if I drive 400 miles one way. I work at the tests that are nearby (and yes I consider taking a turn on a winger, throwing fliers or planting blinds working - what the heck else is it?? If I can't get a break to run my own dog in between stations then forget it, I won't be there.